Is this okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Recently purchased a Japanese Imported Nissan Skyline 250gt v36 (i believe is infinity g37 in usa?) sedan with vq25 engine.
The car was recently serviced by a local garage and I noticed on the sticker that they used 15w-40 mineral which seems a little thick and not up to standard for this car. Oil Cap even says 5w-40.
Would the mechanic have done this intentionally? Or was it just a cost cutting measure?
I dont mind getting a new oil + filter change with correct oil, Opinions?

Short answer: 15w40 (mineral) and 5w40 (synthetic) are interchangeable for the most part, but since it says 5w40 on the cap, I would go with that.

Long answer: Aside from the 5w40 on the cap, does it require any specifications/ approvals? For example, the Mobil 1 0w40 we have in the US meets a Nissan GTR spec. Not sure if your Skyline has any sort of specs that need met, but I imagine the 15w40 wouldn't meet them if it did.

I doubt a one time/ preferably short run of 15w40 will hurt anything, but I would be switching it out at your earliest convenience to a 0/5w 40 synthetic.

This was probably just a cost cutting measure, but when it comes to high performance cars, it's probably best to use what they need.

It's early autumn in New Zealand.

Given the factory's recommendations, the questions will largely concern your starting and operating conditions.

What are the likely temperatures?(typical/coldest temperatures for the first start of the day, typical daytime temperatures) What will you do with the car (generally kept in a garage/kept outside, short distances only or running for long distances). How much does an oil change cost? How long/how far do you plan between changes?

As you probably know the majority of vehicles in NZ are imported used without service history and carry no warranty. Many models are JDM only and don't come with a handbook or service schedule. There is no culture or incentive to follow the manufacturers recommendations and mechanics are generally trusted by their customers to recommend a service plan inc lubes and service intervals. This car would fall into this category.

The price of oil is also sky high so a lot of workshops will just use a generic lube in everything to save money and set a conservative service interval. Mineral 15w40 SN/CF or a 10w40 blend of some kind is popular. Even the majors like Valvoline cater for this market.

If it were my car I would use a Synthetic 5w40 or 0w40 but I would expect the 15w40 will most likely work just fine if you drive the car normally and service it frequently. In the majority of cases that's more than they got when they lived in Japan.

For American readers, NZ climate for the major populations is sub tropical and coastal, 15w40 is suitable for the climate.

Last edited:
dlundblad and supercity has summed up the situation nicely.

The 15W-40 was probably a mineral ACEA A3/B3 oil, as they are quite common here and not a bad oil. Quite an economical oil to buy too. The A3/B3 is a good standard, nothing to worry about.

I think you have three (or four) oil choices open to you:
• 15W-40 A3/B3 mineral oil (eg Castrol GTX)
• 10W-40 A3/B4 semi-synthetic ( eg Valvoline DuraBlend, Castrol Magnatec)
• 0W-40 or 5W-40 full synthetic (eg Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra) these are all A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.3, Porsche A40, etc (top shelf stuff)
• or a heavy 5W-30 A3/B4 full synthetic like Castrol Edge or Shell Helix HX8 (make sure it's ACEA A3/B4 and Not a lighter ILSAC GF-5 oil).

I would suggest Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 as this is a great full synthetic oil, in the correct weight, and it's usually a few dollars cheaper than the rest.

Two other full synthetics are Castrol Edge 0W-40 and 5W-40. Both great oils (Porsche A40 rated) and easy to find. I think the 0W-40 is a slightly better oil, but the 5W-40 is always a few dollars cheaper.

M1 0W-40 is very good, but it's a bit of an onion, it'll make your eyes water when you see the price.

Don't forget Valvoline SynPower 0W-40 and 5W-40. Good quality full synthetics.

The above (Ultra, Edge, M1 and SynPower) are all full synthetics. If you want something more moderate in price, I would get Castrol Magnatec 10W-40, an A3/B4 semi-synthetic with a good rep that is easy to find.

Have Fun !!

Originally Posted By: 268i
Hi all,

Recently purchased a Japanese Imported Nissan Skyline 250gt v36 (i believe is infinity g37 in usa?) sedan with vq25 engine.
The car was recently serviced by a local garage and I noticed on the sticker that they used 15w-40 mineral which seems a little thick and not up to standard for this car. Oil Cap even says 5w-40.
Would the mechanic have done this intentionally? Or was it just a cost cutting measure?
I dont mind getting a new oil + filter change with correct oil, Opinions?

New Zealand is as hot as Rio, averaging what 25C? (like 15 to 35 gusting to 41?) so a 15w is the same as 5w in N. Canada at average 6C (-40 to 30c) Just illustration number here.

Last edited:
The 15W-40 being too thick depends upon the temperature the vehicle is when starting. 5W-40 will extend cold starts to below freezing.

15w-40 in your climate is fine, and will take you to temperatures significantly below freezing. The "15w-" part does indicate that this is a multigrade, which is often forgotten here. I wouldn't use it here in Saskatchewan in the winter, at least not as a first choice.

Take a look at SAE J300. 15w- oils have MRV tested down to -25 C. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back