Timing Belt ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: expat
The Timing belt was first used back in 1945 on a race car.

The first production car with a belt was Vauxhall (British division of GM) on a slant 4 engine.

The benefits of a belt are, it doesn't need lubrication, it's lighter, quieter and cheaper than a chain.

It 'can' also be easier to change.
But that aspect seems to have been forgotten!
Cheaper for whom?

Toyota touted the timing belt as a NVH reduction measure on the Lexus LS400 when it first came out - the Mercedes W126 S-Class used a beefy(but fragile when you account the guide rails) timing chain on its M116/117 V8. The Mercedes chain was also an IWIS chain that was more or less the same type of chain as an bike chain.

Timing belts force maintenance, but at the same time you're renewing most of the moving parts in the cam drive and timing chains != maintenance-free - especially on Mercedes V8s and Ford 4.0L Cologne V6s.

Originally Posted By: CT8

The first production car with a belt was Vauxhall (British division of GM) on a slant 4 engine.

The benefits of a belt are, it doesn't need lubrication, it's lighter, quieter and cheaper than a chain.

Cheaper for whom?

BINGO! Cheaper for the manufacturer who can then pass on an expensive repair to the customer five years later.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright

Cheaper for whom?

BINGO! Cheaper for the manufacturer who can then pass on an expensive repair to the customer five years later.

IMO it's not a repair if it's on the maintenance schedule.

Cheaper for whom?

Well I agree that seems to be the way it is.
But it need not be so.

As Silk mentioned, 'some' belts could be changed in 20 minutes. Most belts do cost less than steel chains and sprockets.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
On the Accord forum there's about half a dozen owners with over 200k miles on their Accords with the original timing belts. These are on model years 1998 and up Accords. In 2003 all 4 cyl Accords switch to timing chains but the V6 models still have the timing belts. Never heard of any timing belts breaking on Accords from the 1998 model to present. Not that I recommend going over the recommended interval. I had mine replaced on time.

I've thought about this quite a lot. Most people report that when they look at the original belt once it's off the car after doing a replacement, the original looks almost pristine even with 100,000 miles.

I have friend who has a 2001 Accord V6, and she has the original timing belt and water pump at 230,000 miles. I tell her that at this point, she CANNOT have those parts replaced because the automotive world sees her car as an experiment in longevity now. Science is counting on this girl!
grin.gif

I have friend who has a 2001 Accord V6, and she has the original timing belt and water pump at 230,000 miles. I tell her that at this point, she CANNOT have those parts replaced because the automotive world sees her car as an experiment in longevity now. Science is counting on this girl!
grin.gif

I hope you're kidding.

For good or ill, I am not kidding. This lady was a student at the college where I teach, and now she works at a college in Georgia. The Accord is an EX and is white. True story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back