2015+ WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've liked the performance of the WRX for years (notice I didn't say the looks). Powerful engine with unusual design, good handling little car that has some utility, unlike many pure sports coupes. I don't care for the AWD (added weight and complexity) - I'd rather it be RWD, and if there was such a car besides the 3-series, which has complexity issues of its own (and the reduced reliability that goes along with that complexity), I'd buy one.

Anyway, the 2015+ WRX is again offered in sedan form, and although it's still not a beautiful car, I can, at least, stomach the looks now.

I've never owned a performance car before, but I've always wanted one.

My favorite configuration is RWD but I'd rather have AWD than FWD.

Anybody here have one? How are you liking it? How fast will it go? LOL
smile.gif

The AWD in Subaru adds no significant complexity as it a time proven system and extremely rare to have issues within the system. I own an "elderly" Legacy with civilized STI engine and WRX bits and its a hoot.

I'd say take it for test spin and see if the car appeals if not already.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What about all the engine problems? Have they been rectified?

Have there been engine problems with the 2.0?

Only issues I've heard about with Subaru are head gaskets on the older ones. And the ones I've mainly heard about weren't WRXs. But even those who reported problems said that the issues were fixed when the head gaskets were replaced with metal ones.

I came very close to buying a 2015 STI; the car was a lot of fun to drive but in the final analysis-traction issues aside-it just felt too similar to the tweaked MS3 I had driven for 7.5 years. I didn't consider the WRX because I was going to track whatever I bought and I wanted the Brembos and the adjustable torque split that only came on the STI.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I came very close to buying a 2015 STI; the car was a lot of fun to drive but in the final analysis-traction issues aside-it just felt too similar to the tweaked MS3 I had driven for 7.5 years. I didn't consider the WRX because I was going to track whatever I bought and I wanted the Brembos and the adjustable torque split that only came on the STI.

In my opinion, the performance gap between the regular WRX and STi is too narrow. Not worth the extra $7000. IMO the other extras on the STi are gadgets and equate only to added complexity. More to break on a car that's already going to be used hard, more than likely. Only half a second acceleration difference btwn the 2 cars

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Only half a second acceleration difference btwn the 2 cars

But the difference at VIR is five seconds per lap- which is what I was looking at. It ended up being a moot point for me; I decided that I wanted something a bit quicker.

In that case I think you'd really like the WRX. It's likely a better road car than the STI.

My friend who is relatively loaded just dumped a his WRX for a Mitsubishi Evo. He liked the Subie, but he loves the Evo. It hasn't broken yet, which is a testament to the car since he is very hard on machines. Drives them all like he stole them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
What about all the engine problems? Have they been rectified?
Have there been engine problems with the 2.0?

Only issues I've heard about with Subaru are head gaskets on the older ones. And the ones I've mainly heard about weren't WRXs. But even those who reported problems said that the issues were fixed when the head gaskets were replaced with metal ones.

Correct, and there were oil-burning issues in the non-turbo motors more recently (like mine). There haven't been any real issues with the WRX motor.

I suggest you go test drive one. You will either love it or hate it. I drove a '15 STI last year and was very impressed with how it handled. Compared to the RWD sports cars I have had in the past, it drove like it was on rails.

In that case I think you'd really like the WRX. It's likely a better road car than the STI.

+1, the new WRX is very comfy version compared to past iterations. STI is a different animal.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
There haven't been any real issues with the WRX motor.

Almost.

Quote:
Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module (ECM) software logic due to a possible pre-ignition issue on certain 2015 model year WRX vehicles and certain 2014 and 2015 model year 2.0XT Forester vehicles, equipped with a 2.0 liter turbocharged engine.

DESCRIPTION
Under certain high engine load driving conditions, engine combustion may occur prior to spark ignition resulting in elevated cylinder temperatures and pressures. This could cause a rough idle and engine noise, and if left unaddressed it could lead to excessive erosion of the spark plugs and possible engine damage.

REPAIR
Subaru will inspect your vehicle and reprogram the ECM. If any related spark plug or engine damage is detected during the inspection, your vehicle will be repaired.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...-_L#Post4012978

No 2016's are affected as they already have the ECM changes, but I would probably stay away from the 2015's unless you can verify the outcome of the above. Some are getting engines replaced due to damage already done.

That said, Subaru is a very good company and they are good to their customers (oil burning issues on the FB motor aside
smile.gif
). If you keep your car stock, SoA will stand behind you if you have issues during the Powertrain warranty period. However, if you modify, let your oil run low, or are late on your oil change interval, then you're pushing your luck.

cheers3.gif

Thanks for the information, guys. I did drive one about a year ago and was impressed.

Here's what I'm being offered on one:

MSRP: $28,061
Invoice: $26,322
Sale price: $26,000 (no fees)

The car is 7 hours away. They offered free transportation.

What do you guys think? Beat 'em up a little more, or settle for what they've offered? This was their first quote.

I think you can get it for a little lower than their asking price(first offer is usually higher than they will settle for), especially this is a 2015 not 2016.

I would counter offer at $24k and probably settle for $24.5-25k.

In my opinion, the performance gap between the regular WRX and STi is too narrow. Not worth the extra $7000. IMO the other extras on the STi are gadgets and equate only to added complexity. More to break on a car that's already going to be used hard, more than likely. Only half a second acceleration difference btwn the 2 cars

An aftermarket tune would close the gap for a lot less than 7k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back