old bottle of Auto Rx turned solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the stuff back in 2003-04 or so. Used 2/3 of the bottle, left the rest. Chintzy cap on, not climate controlled.

Went to pour it today... solid! Nothing comes out. I can feel its weight in the bottom of the bottle, so I'm not crazy.

Wha happened?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The carrier evaporated like left over paint.

Sounds like it. Maybe those additives can be put back into suspension with fresh oil? *Shrugs* dunno. Ask Frank, indeed!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Was it room temp when you tried to pour it?

In my garage, so, like, 48'F.

If I could re-liquify the product, I wouldn't put it in my motor, I don't think.

Well, this would have to have at least 12 years of validity of its expiration date ... after oppened...

Last edited:
Here I found it:

Auto-Rx® Plus will stay good... If you have bottles remaining after a long period left sitting, or if the product appears frozen after a hard winter, just run the bottle under warm water until completely thawed. Shake the bottle to mix the product thoroughly, as some settling may have occurred during storage. Then use the product as instructed.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I bought the stuff back in 2003-04 or so. Used 2/3 of the bottle, left the rest. Chintzy cap on, not climate controlled.

Went to pour it today... solid! Nothing comes out. I can feel its weight in the bottom of the bottle, so I'm not crazy.

Wha happened?
laugh.gif

You didn't read the instruction or the web site. That is what happened.

I too recently had an older bottle of the old formulation. Even in temperate southern California kept in dark in a shelf in my garage it would get sludgy. Prior to using that old Auto-Rx formula I would stick in direct sunlight or put it in the engine right slightly above the headers while the engine cools off as I begin to change the oil. That might be more 'green' then running hot water... of course I am in the parched west so hopefully you'd understand.
smile.gif

The newer Auto-RX Plus don't doesn't need any of that.

Originally Posted By: razel
I too recently had an older bottle of the old formulation. Even in temperate southern California kept in dark in a shelf in my garage it would get sludgy. Prior to using that old Auto-Rx formula I would stick in direct sunlight or put it in the engine right slightly above the headers while the engine cools off as I begin to change the oil. That might be more 'green' then running hot water... of course I am in the parched west so hopefully you'd understand.
smile.gif

The newer Auto-RX Plus don't doesn't need any of that.

Newer oils do not need Auto-Rx or any other additive to supplement the additive base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back