Dump the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is driving a car she really likes but it feels old, a 2005 Legacy Legacy turbo 5mt however its hit 195,000 miles/11 years old and feels like its failing apart now. That being said its more or less a grown ups version of Subaru WRX(same motor).

It just passed state inspection however mechanic basically (hard) reset computer and got a P04020 code he made go away to comply with OBD-II. He also had to fix wiring in steering to ioperable horn $200 and leaking heater hose $50.

This all being said it needs:
*rear brakes and likely rotors too (never changed)
*struts-never changed and slight clunk
*rear hatch wires are fraying and it will lose reverse and license plates lights and rear defrost. Rear wiper has failed along along with hatch light.
*Cat Convert- noted as very rusty
*turbo-total unknown as its OEM but had 3k/OCI since new with dino

recent repair was power steering rack a month ago($600) which solved terrible steering.

We did see an 2012 Acura TSX Sportwagen/43k/$16,500 she liked except for automatic and less power/exciting(200HP vs 250HP currently).

Her car apparently can fetch $3000-$4000 due to rarity of transmission/turbo motor/wagon. Sort of teetering on "should I stay or should I go"...

The 600 dollar power steering rack repair would have made me dump it.

With 195k you haven't even gotten into doing anything serious repair wise to the motor or transmission.

Yikes, no wonder you want to dump it:

Originally Posted By: madRiver
In 2014 we spent nearly $2800 on our 175k 2005 Legacy turbo wagon 5mt to get a burned valve repaired. In the process it got all sorts of maintenance (plugs,timing belt etc) done.

In 2015 we hit $600 front brakes(187k) seized caliper, pads, rotors etc and torn front axle boot($200). To get $500 in four new tires(wear item) we needed $200 in front end suspension work to align($80) the car.

2011/2012/2013 the repairs never hit $200-$500/year albeit
2016 to start
smile.gif
the rear brakes will need replacing including rotors likely $350. Also hatch wiring harness is partially broken and fraying (rear wiper dead) but may lead to reverse lights out needed for inspection($350 fix or $120 no guarantee patching-both difficult).

What is folks tolerance for this stuff?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Yikes, no wonder you want to dump it:

Originally Posted By: madRiver
In 2014 we spent nearly $2800 on our 175k 2005 Legacy turbo wagon 5mt to get a burned valve repaired. In the process it got all sorts of maintenance (plugs,timing belt etc) done.

In 2015 we hit $600 front brakes(187k) seized caliper, pads, rotors etc and torn front axle boot($200). To get $500 in four new tires(wear item) we needed $200 in front end suspension work to align($80) the car.

2011/2012/2013 the repairs never hit $200-$500/year albeit
2016 to start
smile.gif
the rear brakes will need replacing including rotors likely $350. Also hatch wiring harness is partially broken and fraying (rear wiper dead) but may lead to reverse lights out needed for inspection($350 fix or $120 no guarantee patching-both difficult).

What is folks tolerance for this stuff?

Yes its getting worst. Its been paid for and no car payments since 2006.....I did notice this car(legacy turbo) made used cars to avoid in consumer reports likely for good reason a few years
back. Not my our typical experience with Honda's which seemed trouble free till 200k.

I would keep it......But only because I could fix all that stuff in a single afternoon. With the possible exception of the rusty cat. And I like fast Subies.

The cat itself appearing rusty on the outside means nothing. The exhaust pipe leading to it, and away from it.....That is a different story.

But if you are not capable of doing work on it yourself.....You should dump it, and get something that is not going to need as much attention. Old cars need owners with skilz.

I'd ditch it, but I'd probably give thought to driving it for a few months. I guess you could sell it now and get the $3-4k vs selling later when it won't pass inspection (or worse, blew a turbo or something expensive) and taking half that.

Drive until you find "the one". It should make it that long.

Time for a new car . The cost of your ownership over the years seems to have been a bargain!

195k doesn't scare me in a vehicle I know the history of. Many of those things are expected to be done sometime in the 100-200k range, and so aren't out of the ordinary... Hint, the Acura will have to do those too.

All that said, given your location is New England, and other parts are noted as being very rusty, I'd assume the vehicle overall is rusty... And that's a money pit.

I'm not sure if that tsx wagon is the best deal, were any made with manuals? If so, you might wait and look for one that meets her liking more, from a less corrosive environment. Though low end torque will be quite different, I'd find it dubious that the tsx 200 hp is much less exciting overall...

I think it's time to get rid of it. At that age, it'll probably need a turbo, clutch, and possibly head gaskets soon.

What needed to be done to that car needed to be done on a schedule.

You'd be forever at the "what's next" stage.

Get while the gettin's good.

YOU OFFERED THE CHOISE: "Should I stay or should I go ? " GO, REAL SOON

"Give" it to an enterprising kid or create a wee tax write off by donating it to a tech high school.

Your car doesn't sound too bad to me - but that's just me. It hardly ever "pays" to buy a new car. Only exception is if the cost of repairs is a significant percentage of the value of the car. Repairs recently completed don't increase the value much. If you don't like your current car, it no longer meets your needs, or you want a different car that's different.

There were TSX sedans with manuals. I've driven a couple. Very nice shift and clutch action too. Don't know about manuals in a Sportswagon though.

Some of the things you mention are maint items like the struts and brakes, hoses. All cars need them at certain intervals.

Unless the cat is rusted through it should be OK. Exhaust systems do rust out and need replacement. If your keeping the car and need exhaust work, have the shop install SS. I have a local shop that installs SS exhausts. He can weld them together from plain SS pipe if needed.

If your wife has lost faith in the car, time to replace however.

I'm surprised the rear suspension subframe isnt rusted out like all New England Subarus.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'm surprised the rear suspension subframe isnt rusted out like all New England Subarus.

Which is why I was voting for "dump". Most of the repairs aren't bad, but if rust is creeping up there, take the hint and move on.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Which is why I was voting for "dump". Most of the repairs aren't bad, but if rust is creeping up there, take the hint and move on.

In terms of surface rust just a spot bubbling where body work was done 5 years back. The underside no issues except the exhaust/cat extremely rusty/brittle. My wife commutes 35 miles each way a few days per week(all highway) with this car and otherwise short trips with kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back