ZDDP MAXX vs ZDDPlus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both OK, if ... They get along with the basic add pack in the oil you are using. There can be conflicts with the built-in add pak...

What oil are you planning to mix this into?

I used ZDDP + for years with Chevron Supreme and have never lost a cam. Could be just good luck, but I think it helped. The big deal is to not overwhelm the existing add pak. Never more than 2 oz for a 5 qt system
smile.gif

Zddp additives should only be used on the break in of a new engine, there's actually a lot of harm you can do by adding extra things to your oil that are too strong. ZDDP becomes corrosive at high concentration and can pit the metal.

Too much antiwear additives will fight the detergents for metal and probably harm deposit resistance and a few other things.

Leave the blending to the professionals, if you want a high zddp product look at Mobil 1 High Mileage which still carriers api SL allowable limits of ZDDP while maintaining a balanced additive package

Why buy an oil lower in ZDDP and boost it up using a ZDDP booster, when you can buy plenty of reasonably priced HDEO and racing oils that already have it in the pack?

Yup, that's why I have 20 bottles of ZDDP+ sitting on the shelf. Don't need it as oils have gotten better and I can find stuff like VR-1 in parts stores in town. No more need to build my own
smile.gif

This comment:

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy

If you want around about 1000ppm Phos, go SL and stick with European oils. Ideally you want SL in old fashioned Group I base oil. You don't want SL in Group II because it might contain less ZDDP.
If you want higher still levels of Phos (equates directly to ZDDP) then go for a Heavy Duty Diesel Oil (HDDO).
Alternatively, you could add some supplementary ZDDP. Speaking personally, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with this. Most oil formulators would add more ZDDP to an oil if they could. It's just that the specs don't allow them too. Nothing much bad happens if you add too much ZDDP, especially if you're plopping it into an old Capri. The whole 'low SAPs' hadn't even been conceived when your car came off the assembly line!

From this thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4004789/1/

I like the Red Line Break In additive more than ALL of the above, and it's 16 ounces for less coin than most of the others' lower amounts for MORE coin (usually).

Maybe both are the same supplier, but, if not, a good test would be volatility, also to see if refers to primary or secondary ZDDP. I believe theyre secondary, but who knows.

Seems like the syn oils w/1000ppm zddp are the norm for "consumer" synthetic oils, with 1400ppm for non-syn oils. Some of the more-specialized Joe Gibbs oils have much more zddp, but then they aren't designed for 5000+mile OCIs where engine cleanliness and deposit formation are not a real issue.

Any needed zddp past the syn 1000pm level might better depend upon the engine, its camshaft event timing, valve lift, cam follower/valve lifter type, an OEM-sourced camshaft or otherwise, and spring pressures.

CBODY67

^^^Even some of the aftermarket rocker arm bushing type trunnion manufacturers are suggesting high(er) ZDDP/moly levels for their products, even with mild spring pressures, and hydraulic roller lifters.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back