Some airliner maintenance pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some light maintenance on an Airbus A320 series.

Oil filters - 1 on pressure side and 1 on return side. Each has its own bypass indicator with a red dot near the top. They are steel mesh, few hundred dollars each. You can also see the 4 chip detectors here, located below the oil filters, also containing red dots.

Top off looks good.

Don't forget those cabin air filters! They are like 2 feet in diameter.

Check the avionics wiring.

thumbsup2.gif
It's the mechanics that run the airline. We pilots can't do our jobs unless they do theirs first! Thanks for the pics stranger....

Originally Posted By: R80RS
What are the two circular objects to the right of the oil level sight glass in the second picture?

I'm pretty sure the top one sets the number of cranky crying babies on each flight. The bottom one sets the price for a bag of pretzels from the FA.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
My goodness I now know why people pray on flights.

LOL actually the equipment these days is just about perfected...its mostly human error type stuff that brings them down now. Either pilots or traffic control or terrorists.

Very few mechanical issues. Especially the engines. You never see engine repairs anymore. Its just "oh change it out for overhaul its at high time" which means it just worked for 15,000 or 20,000 hours and needs to be rebuilt for the next round.

It's because they are ignorant as to how safe planes are. I'm being completely serious.

What weight of oil do these take? Is it thin like ATF?

Also, what is the capacity and service intervals?

Thanks for the awesome pics btw.

One fire in that wiring on that airliner is down...

Originally Posted By: madRiver

One fire in that wiring on that airliner is down...

I doubt it, there is dual redundancies in that jet, possibly even triple. Certainly back up wiring somewhere else.

Thanks for the fascinating pictures, I'd love to see more too.

The mechanics own the planes. They just let the pilots borrow them for awhile each day as long as they promise to return them in one piece.

Oh, and thanks for all your hard work keeping us passengers safe.
I've never understood why the flying public doesn't get to see and hear more from the most important people in the commercial flight business....the mechanics! We all appreciate you.

What are the two circular objects to the right of the oil level sight glass in the second picture?

They probably use air assist to fill the crankcases with oil.
Possibly a way to also extract the oil with air pressure as well if they need to.

As a retired Navy aircraft mechanic I see a couple of safety wire issues
wink.gif

Well after looking again looks like your in the middle some sort of phase maint and not done yet
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Can you run Jet Oil in a car?

no.

Not unless you own that Truck that has a jet engine in it.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I'm pretty sure the top one sets the number of cranky crying babies on each flight. The bottom one sets the price for a bag of pretzels from the FA.
Really or is that a yolk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back