Bad pulsating vibration from front passenger wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a 2003 Acura RL with 150,000 miles.

When it gets really cold out (
It is such a bad vibration that travels into the cabin and can be felt at the steering wheel and is audible. You feel completely unsafe continuing to drive at highway speeds.

If you touch the wheel afterwards, it feels very hot along with the brake caliper and rotor while the opposite side is perfectly cool.

Now, I am wondering if this is a brake problem or a suspension problem causing the wheel to wobble/shift and make brake contact.

The reason I am skeptical to the first thought of this must be a stuck brake caliper is that when applying brake pressure while this is going on, the brakes feel perfectly fine with no pulsating coming through the brake pedal.

Could it be my stabilizer links or suspension arm bushings are shot or is this a brake caliper problem or something else?

When it is warmer outside, I do not get the same violent vibration but the same wheel gets slightly warm compared to the other side so something is still going on, its just not noticeable.

Last edited:
Yikes, don't drive it on the hwy anymore until it's fixed. Not only for your safety but for everyone else on the hwy around you. Many bad scenarios could play out.

Originally Posted By: fsturbo15
If you touch the wheel afterwards, it feels very hot along with the brake caliper and rotor while the opposite side is perfectly cool.

I think you need to determine if the caliper, hose or pad that is causing the problem.

I changed the brake hose not too long ago so I don't think that is the issue.

With a bad wheel bearing, wouldn't you hear a distinct constant noise like a whining sound or something?

So im between (1) Bad wheel bearing (2) Bad caliper (3) bad suspension component

Thanks so much everyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fsturbo15
With a bad wheel bearing, wouldn't you hear a distinct constant noise like a whining sound or something?

More so when you turn. Turn left..hear whining...right side bearing is bad.

If you're not hearing noise and getting a hot wheel I'm thinking the caliper is stuck. Honda has a rebuild kit for the caliper you can buy. I had a sticking front passenger side one on the 99 Accord. The dealer used the kit on the sticking caliper, new brake pads, turned the rotors for $250. Car had 135k miles and was its first brake job.

I had a bad master cylinder that wouldn't let fluid back and up. When your foot is off the brake, extra fluid is supposed to bleed up into the reservoir. This port is covered when you press the pedal slightly.

In a nutshell, this port was closed, the brakes started heating up, the fluid couldn't go anywhere, and the brakes got hot enough to boil the fluid. But before the fluid boiled, the brakes felt great! There wasn't that couple-mm slop before applying when the ports should have been uncovered.

I think I am going to try replacing the front right caliper and change the brake fluid.

I can get rebuilt calipers from my local NAPA for around 50-60 bucks.

When replacing, you can probably check the wheel bearing, rotor, etc. While the wheel/tire still on, try to wiggle the tire with your hands on east west location and north south location. They should not have any wiggle at all.

Hey everyone,

I purchased Napa Eclipse rebuilt calipers w/ the mounting bracket which came out to around $55 after the core refund so I can't complain about the price.

Wheel bearings seemed fine when the car was lifted. We also changed all the brake fluid by pumping out what was in the reservoir and bleeding the brake lines until all the old fluid was out.

So far, I have none of the previous symptoms. In fact, I can physically place my hand on the brake caliper after extended highway driving and it feels cool with no signs of heating up. In comparison to before where the actual WHEEL was noticeably warm to the touch.

It has been warmer than usual so the true test will be once it gets sub 20F again but it looks good so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back