98 corolla, replaced hinge bolt, still sagging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:) Well, few months ago, i slammed my car door. drivers door. It appears from outside, the door looks slightly bent.The bushing on the bottom hinge had broke. it was black too..
I bought a new bolt set form autozone,comes with the copper bushings. Doorman brand. $9.99
UNbloted the door, hacked the orgigianl bolt in half, pushed it out of hinge body, and replaced in proper setting,t he bushings and bolt. I did not do the upper hinge.
Closing the door, it made it halfway too locking. but the bottom portion of door for utside still looks bent, outwards, just slightly. Do i need too also replace the upper hinge?OR did i actually bend the door? It halfway closes, but stops. FRom inside the car, the upper protion of door is making contact with car body, slightly, before the bottom half does, bottom half being from door handle ide say down.
Since im new at this..door hinges, i did a good job! Thehinges for adjusting the door outward and in, dont appear to be bent r anything. they look flush with body. Perhaps i should or need too as well, loosen the inward outward bolts and see if that adjusts the bottom hald of door too?
IM trying too figure out, what i did actualy..

tomorrow im planning after work too adjust the bolts..i have a 10 mm i think it was, offset wrench in my storage container. i used a regular straight wrench, but that few mm of hnge body is enough so theirs not enough room too move the bolts at all, or remove the car door as i did earlier.

both hinge pins should be replaced and then make adjustments to the striker... use a floor jack or an assistant to lift the door during adjustment

Adjustments too the striker?how is that done? Bend it outward a little?
i used a jackstand too balance the door. it worked fine.
dont have an assitant
smirk.gif

Have you tried moving the bolts holing the hinge to the main part of the car? You likely need to remove the fender to reach them. But that is usually the most adjustable part. By sliding the top hinge forward and the bottom one back, the height of the back edge of the door will change to meet the latch.

You can also try washers between the moving part of the bottom hinge and the door to push the bottom back, tilts the back up. But pulling the stationary part of the top hinge forward is likely to be the key, especially as the top hinge is worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back