Oil recomendations for ATV SHEAR MONSTER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a '96 Suzuki QuadRunner 250.

It shares the engine oil with transmission AND differential. The ATV has 7k miles on it, the bearings and gears are "opening up"

I usually use Rotella 15w40, I change the oil+filter once a year.

It always comes out like water, sheared way down.

I want to try something else, I also ride the ATV in the winter, 20 degrees or above in snow for fun, so not sure if I should try a more vicious oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
How, exactly, do you know that the bearings and gears are "opening up"

Had a fuel dilution issue, also was broke in by three teenage new riders, also been abused, and you can tell when gears are worn by shifting, especially when you bought the ATV new, and now can tell these things over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Mix Valvoline VR1 10/30 and 20/50. VR1 tames the worst shear monsters. Harley engines can't touch it even over 5000 miles of oil temps up to 280 degrees.

Is this oil JASCO approved? I got a wet clutch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: KingCake
How, exactly, do you know that the bearings and gears are "opening up"

Had a fuel dilution issue, also was broke in by three teenage new riders, also been abused, and you can tell when gears are worn by shifting, especially when you bought the ATV new, and now can tell these things over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Mix Valvoline VR1 10/30 and 20/50. VR1 tames the worst shear monsters. Harley engines can't touch it even over 5000 miles of oil temps up to 280 degrees.

Does it have a chain? This just sounds like chain/sprocket wear.

My motorcycle is a shared sump also. I use Rotella also and I typically change fluid when the shifter gets "notchy" which is always before the engine oil service interval. I've used other oils but with the small sump and how cheap the Rotella is I always go back.

Last edited:
Quote:

Does it have a chain? This just sounds like chain/sprocket wear.

No, the axle goes through the transmission. Only chain in the machine is the camshaft chain.

Last edited:
You mean JASO-MA? No, it is not. In fact, it is not recommended for use in wet clutch bikes. I would keep using Rotella (either Triple T or T6). As far as I know it is the only HDEO that meets the requirements for JASO-MA. I use it in my Brute Force 750 which is definitely an oil shredder with great results.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
You mean JASO-MA? No, it is not. In fact, it is not recommended for use in wet clutch bikes. I would keep using Rotella (either Triple T or T6). As far as I know it is the only HDEO that meets the requirements for JASO-MA. I use it in my Brute Force 750 which is definitely an oil shredder with great results.

Recommendations on viscosity? Manual specs 10w40 and that shears down to water in short order, especially in summer, any grade recommendations?

Recommendations on viscosity? Manual specs 10w40 and that shears down to water in short order, especially in summer, any grade recommendations?
I would go with 15W-40. One thing to consider is installing an oil cooler. I installed a Derale fan driven model on my Brute Force and it lowered the temp by 25 degrees or so.

I would go with 15W-40. One thing to consider is installing an oil cooler. I installed a Derale fan driven model on my Brute Force and it lowered the temp by 25 degrees or so.

What if I go to a 20w50, like Royal Purple Syn, would that be safe?

Also anyone got opinions on this product? It advertises to decrease oil temps by simply adding to oil!

http://www.highlifter.com/p-102-atv-motor-cool-4-stroke-heat-fighter-oil.aspx

There are many good 15w40 oils, if that is the weight you choose to stay with. I used to own a 2002 Ford F350 Power Stroke Diesel with the legendary 7.3 International Diesel. The 7.3 was known to "shear" oil as well due to the high pressure oil pump. I used the Motorcraft 15w40 oil which was made by Conoco Phillips. This oil did very well in my PSD. It came in the 5 quart jug at WM for arount 17-18 dollars.

Also anyone got opinions on this product? It advertises to decrease oil temps by simply adding to oil!

Those are some pretty spectacular claims, and perhaps they should tell us how it works, and how they've rewritten the laws of physics. How does it instantly cool oil by 57 degrees? Is this stuff supposed to be chilled before being added, is it liquid nitrogen, or just magic?

And all lubricated parts last twice as long? Gee, the Chevy small block cam issue is now solved. I wish I'd had this product back in the day.
wink.gif

As for Royal Purple, I'm not sure if that stuff is friction modified or not. If you want to use RP or Red Line, speak to them directly. They'd very likely provide you with the proper product line for your application. RP does have motorcycle specific lubes, including a 20w-50, but it won't be (well, shouldn't be) the same as their automotive 20w-50.

What if I go to a 20w50, like Royal Purple Syn, would that be safe?

http://www.highlifter.com/p-102-atv-motor-cool-4-stroke-heat-fighter-oil.aspx

I would not use snake oil in a wet clutch system.

There are a number of oils that have extremely shear stable viscosities. I would recommend asking your oil manufacturer of choice for SSI numbers or ASTM D6278 shear stability results on the products you are interested in. Then you'll know exactly what to expect in viscosity loss from shear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back