2007 Corolla brake caliper digging into rotor??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, its regarding my brakes. So I have some jobber rotors and Akebono pads on for past year to year and a half. The past month or two I noticed that when brakingI heard a grinding sound from driver side. I took off the wheel and noticed that it appears the top edge of the caliper is pressing against the rotor making an indentation around the rotor which shows its rubbing against the rotor during braking. The brake pads do not look worn down either, actually look 3/4. I removed bolts and took the caliper off..it looked fine to me granted I am no mechanic. I am maybe a weekend mechanic for my own vehicles..id consider myself to have basic knowledge..I checked the other side and the rotor is not grinding at all and same brake pad wear, so Im wondering if it might be the caliper? Any and all advice welcome, if anything I can easily test or check for would be ideal. If it is a bad caliper I will likely have the dealer or an indy replace it for me. Thanks in advance
smile.gif

We need pics but is one ear of the pad sticking in its bracket? Very common.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
We need pics but is one ear of the pad sticking in its bracket? Very common.

You think one of the pad ears is sticking? Sorry not sure what you mean..i suppose I will need to take the pads off and check..might do that tomorrow..bit of a blizzard out now. Thanks for the hint.!

Maybe one frozen slide pin?

The more talk to brake guys the more I understand how much one must lube specific parts or hsmgs and squeaks occur. At the begging of my automotive journey I'd have never imagined lubing pins and tabs and etc.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
bad wheel bearing

Had both my front bearings replaced about 1-2 years ago..and maybe 15-20k miles since so im dounting it but who knows..thx

Pin on the back of the pad not correctly aligned with the rotor. Causing pad to wear unevenly, I've seen it before

I don't see any pics....

Why do people insist on asking questions like this without pics?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
bad wheel bearing

Had both my front bearings replaced about 1-2 years ago..and maybe 15-20k miles since so im dounting it but who knows..thx

20K is about all you get sometimes on aftermarket bearings

I like the wheel bearing idea, scary as it is. There should be lots of rust dust and terrifying slop if this is true.

bad wheel bearing

The driver side bearing was replaced by Toyota dealer, so its an OEM bearing...

If the bearing is that bad you can easily check-- with the caliper off the hub and rotor will be able to wobble around by pulling on it by hand. A good bearing doesn't allow any motion other than rotation, there will be no side to side or in and out "slop" like eljefino mentioned.

bad wheel bearing

The driver side bearing was replaced by Toyota dealer, so its an OEM bearing...

lol. my local toyota dealer uses o'reilly store brand parts exclusively.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
There is a wear mark on the caliper?

It's a really easy yes/no question.

he cant take a picture of the problem yet you expect him to respond to your question?

Pretty sure but would need to double check, its been too cold to take another look.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

he cant take a picture of the problem yet you expect him to respond to your question?

Sorry next time I will think about taking pictures so it helps you. If you have nothing to add just dont reply. Obviously it was a quick question and when I took the wheel and caliper off I wasnt thinking of a question I'd ask later and the immediate need to take pictures. Especially when its below freezing out, something you should understand.

I had a similar problem with my Camry a few years back. It would grind cornering. After close inspection it was worn rotors causing the caliper piston to extend too far. Feel around the outside edge of the rotor to see if there is a protruding lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back