Amsoil XL 5W-20 - 13,474 miles - 04 F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good UOA on my 2004 F150. I use this truck in my daily commute of ~100 miles round trip, which is about 80% highway and 20% in town. The truck sees no short trips.

Regarding Blackstone's comment on oil consumption in this interval - in my defense I changed the oil in the previous three intervals (when I added only 1 to 1.5 qts) at a point when the oil level was low enough to require addition of a quart if I was going to extend the interval. So in other words, if I had extended the previous three intervals beyond 10k miles I would have had to add a quart, so the make up oil quantities would have been 2 to 2.5 qts.

Nonetheless, I am keeping an eye on the oil consumption, and am considering switching to a HM oil at the next change.

The filter used in this interval was a Fram XG3600. I'll cut and post the filter when I have some free time.

Current fill is Amsoil XL 5w-20 with a Wix 51516.

04_F150_020716_Page_1.jpg

Nice report. I commented on the consumption without reading the entire entry. Edited it out.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Any idea why it consumed double the previous uoa, 3qt vs 1.5?

At the end of the previous intervals the oil was low to the point that it would have required an additional quart if I was going to extend those intervals past 10k miles. If I had extended the earlier intervals, like I did in this interval, the oil added would have been at least 1 quart more, meaning I would have used 2 to 2.5 quarts.

I am seeing a little more oil use lately, but not as bad as the difference in make up oil used between this interval and the previous intervals would indicate.

Wear metals are very good for 13,500 miles, but the TBN is barely above 1.0 with 3 quarts top off isn't good. If your current fill is the same Amsoil I would reduce OCI to no more than 10-12k miles.

I would go back to 10k OCI. Blackstone is wrong to tell you to go 15k.

I do not get people using the Amsoil XL. If I get Amsoil products, I get the best Amsoil products. I do buy Amsoil ATF and SVG.

Wear is good but not impressed with the TBN retention. There is some room to go higher, remember Blackstone is using the newer TBN method so they report lower than they used to.

I will say it's impressive that there's no apparent thickening of the oil yet, which is a good sign you can probably hit 15k and call it a day.

I agree with the above-3 quarts in an (admittedly long) OCI is approaching continuous oil changes, at least the Ultra is getting the job done on the filtering side. Not sure what the XL costs, but I can't help thinking along the lines of 2 7500 OCIs of MaxLife Synthetic or similar, with the same Ultra used for both, would be cheaper & look just as good on the UOA, with less consumption. Any idea where it's going? Any leaks or smoke?

Moving to a 5w30 might help with consumption, and SS would get your TBN up quite a bit...which would be my plan if going to 15k.

My 90s Crown Vic with 4.6 specified 5w30 and I don't think there were any mechanical/oiling changes through the 2004. Was the 5w20 a back spec?

Just how much lower is this new TBN testing method? They still use the same bottom benchmark of 1.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would go back to 10k OCI. Blackstone is wrong to tell you to go 15k.

I do not get people using the Amsoil XL. If I get Amsoil products, I get the best Amsoil products. I do buy Amsoil ATF and SVG.
The XL line has API approval so if people are worried about that, it is great for them.

Amsoil XL is a great oil and you definately have gotten your moneys worth from that oil and your truck. 216,000 miles is a great accomplishment.
Personally I think Blackstone is wrong telling you to go longer with that TBN, but it is working great so far with those wear numbers. I think I would move up to a 5W30 XL and see if that cuts down the consumption, but that is just my opinion of course.

Honestly it's not that great of showing for XL given it has a fairly high TBN compared to others. 3 quarts of makeup and still completely depleted under mostly highway miles. These are ideal conditions for oil life.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Honestly it's not that great of showing for XL given it has a fairly high TBN compared to others. 3 quarts of makeup and still completely depleted under mostly highway miles. These are ideal conditions for oil life.

TBN is 9 FWIW.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

TBN is 9 FWIW.

Thank you for that. I looked at it this morning. For some reason I thought it was north of 10.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

TBN is 9 FWIW.

Thank you for that. I looked at it this morning. For some reason I thought it was north of 10.

Your memory is good...SS is 12.5; the XL is Amsoil's middle tier offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back