2017 Ford Fusion Sport - 325 hp, 350 tq, AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
On a related note, how has the long term reliability of the 6F55 trans been in other Ford applications?

No issues with mine, now at 6 years and 97k. Have not heard much from the others that use it (Flex, Police Interceptor, etc).

Seems to be a decent value - I just went and ticked all the boxes except sunroof - $39,100.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks. Does your SHO have the paddle shifters? How responsive is the trans when shifting using these? Do you use them at all?

Yes. They aren't as responsive as I'd like - it will downshift and upshift but there sometimes is a delay. I do use them when I want to "remember" driving a stick.
smile.gif

My mom's Fusion has the flappy paddles as well. It is decent, not as responsive as a race box or a real shifty mcshifter manual, but it is fun to play with sometimes.

I would totally buy a Fusion Sport for a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I would totally buy a Fusion Sport for a daily driver.

Yeah. Looking for something new next year and I'm torn between:
Mustang GT 6MT (keep the SHO)
Fusion Sport (trade the SHO)
Focus ST (undecided)

Tough decision.

I priced one out the way I'd want it. $38k with all the electro-nanny safety features. That's a $42k Fusion after taxes and fees. Considering all the distracted driving happening today, the next car will have all those electronic driver aids to let me know when some driver or pedestrian plugged into their phone instead of their surroundings is attempting to violate the laws of physics.

Not likely, as many cars that used to come with an off switch don't anymore.

Most that do offer a switch do not really disable the system but instead simply move the thresholds of intervention back a bit further. Still there to save your butt...

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Are they going to let you disable stability and traction control?

I watched an episode of Roadkill last night, where Subaru wanted them to go head to head, their jalopies against their AWD's. Subaru won of course. Anyhow, they did run into the issue where they could disable traction but not stability, thus the car was impossible to slide on dirt--it simply would cut power, pull brakes and otherwise make the corner.

IMO, any car where I can't fully disable traction and stability control (ideally without having to push a button every [censored] time I drive the thing) is a car I will never own. Even if it means I'm stuck driving 50 year old cars at some point...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
IMO, any car where I can't fully disable traction and stability control (ideally without having to push a button every [censored] time I drive the thing) is a car I will never own. Even if it means I'm stuck driving 50 year old cars at some point...

Well, luckily the aftermarket offers some help. But only for specific models. On my sig car they have a nifty tune that simply moves the thresholds of intervention WAYYYY back so it hardly bothers you at all even if you are really getting on it. It's a wonderful upgrade.

The problems come with the mfgrs who do not support the aftermarket. It can be quite expensive to hack and modify modern electronic networks in any newer car. Even my oldie has about 9 computers on a CANBUS network and is quite complex to hack as everything is interconnected.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Mykl
Are they going to let you disable stability and traction control?

I watched an episode of Roadkill last night, where Subaru wanted them to go head to head, their jalopies against their AWD's. Subaru won of course. Anyhow, they did run into the issue where they could disable traction but not stability, thus the car was impossible to slide on dirt--it simply would cut power, pull brakes and otherwise make the corner.

The STI still allows for full defeat but regular WRX and all others no full defeat in Subaru.Its a rare thing now to have full defeat.

Yeah, the MPG is a bit of a letdown, but it's partly due to the fact that EPA has changed the testing methodology, so all 2017 models get slightly worse MPG ratings compared to prior years.

Still, I would think most folks looking at this car from a performance standpoint won't cry about MPG too much. By the way, this is based on regular gas. I've heard some talk that these Ecoboost engines deliver even better performance when you fill up with premium.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Well, luckily the aftermarket offers some help. But only for specific models. On my sig car they have a nifty tune that simply moves the thresholds of intervention WAYYYY back so it hardly bothers you at all even if you are really getting on it. It's a wonderful upgrade.

That's the same thing that happens when my 2er is placed in Sport+ mode; the nannies don't intervene unless you get really out of shape. I can live with that, but I won't accept an intrusive system that can't be switched off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back