Royal Purple HMX 5w30, 1,862mi, 98 Tacoma 3.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a 6 month OCI, my typical twice a year interval. I know that the oil could have run a lot more miles. This truck is a daily driver used for short trips to work of 5miles one way and errands around time. The truck sees some light hauling of dump runs, rock and gravel, and construction materials from the hardware store. This OCI was ran with a K&N HP-2009 (oversized) oil filter and a K&N air filter.

Your thoughts would be appreciated:

The current fill is Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30 (courtesy of their "Make the Switch" campaign) with a TRD PTR43-00080 oil filter and the same K&N air filter. Butt dyno says it has better cold starting than the RP HMX and is more responsive during the morning commute. I'll post a UOA of it in 6 months.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Nothing against your twice a year OCI but I'd use cheaper filters or use them 2-3 times (at least).

Thanks for the tip. That's my plan with the TRD oil filter. Especially because oil leaks everywhere and makes a mess when replacing them.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Why do a uoa if your only going 2000 miles.

It's part of Pennzoil's Make the Switch program. Participants get two 6qt cases of oil and two UOA's. It'll be interesting to compare the thicker RP HMX to the thinner PPHM.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

It's part of Pennzoil's Make the Switch program. Participants get two 6qt cases of oil and two UOA's. It'll be interesting to compare the thicker RP HMX to the thinner PPHM.

Sweet

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

Sweet

How long have you been running the M1HM in your Tacoma 3.4L? Any UOA's?

You can try sending a PM to GenaFishbeck and asking if you could be added to the Make the Switch program. Though I haven't heard much talk about people being added recently.

Run Castrol Magenetech or a quality Conventional oil. where is the advantage running syn? Long oil change intervals? Extreme cold starting?

Good report - to be expected with such a short run. I'd run the next OCI out to one year and see what you've got. Likely you can go 18 -24 months without issue if you stay at the same low mileage. Even once a year with conventional oil should doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back