Amazon free shipping is now $49 minimum order????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered some fuel filters for my Cummins and got free shipping for spending more than $35. I just went back to Amazon just now to order more filters and now everything is free shipping over $49.

What gives? Trying to force prime memberships?

I did not notice the change either until you mentioned it. I'm seeing the same thing, $49. Free shipping for books is $25.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The honeymoon's over. Remember $25?

I sure do. They're slowly trying to force more people into Prime. I'll just buy less frequently from them, not that they care. lol Some of their prices aren't that great either.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The honeymoon's over. Remember $25?

I sure do. They're slowly trying to force more people into Prime. I'll just buy less frequently from them, not that they care. lol Some of their prices aren't that great either.

I just found Zoro which is a subsidiary of Grainger apparently (according to old threads from here on BITOG) and their Baldwin prices are HALF of what Amazon is and they have free shipping at $50. Goodbye Amazon.

If you have a friend that has prime have them order for you. I often need a small item and order through ebay instead. Amazon took 9 days to ship a Garbage disposal from California to me with the free shipping option. Fed ex and ups does that in 2 days. I think they want their customers to start paying anyway.

I've started using jet.com in place of Amazon a few times. Prices are comparable to amazon, free shipping at $35.

This new minimum must just have started today because I just ordered yesterday evening, and it was still at $35.

Yes, I agree they are pushing people toward Prime membership. Prime is not too much especially if one uses the Prime video like I would, but I am happy with Netflix for now. Amazon will definitely lose some of my dollars for now.

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978
I've started using jet.com in place of Amazon a few times. Prices are comparable to amazon, free shipping at $35.

I made a purchase through Jet.com as well, the price was about half of what Amazon was charging not counting the free offer with the deal. The service was great and the shipping was fast. Amazon might have done me a favor. I was getting a bit lazy and not shopping prices as much as I used to. Thanks to their higher prices to get free shipping I'll be shopping prices more.

If you have any students in your household, student Prime is a lot cheaper. Personally, I'm surprised it took Amazon this long to jack up the free shipping minimum, I'm sure they were not making a lot on small orders.

Prime is now $100/year.

But it includes free two day shipping as well as videos and music.

I had over 80 Amazon orders last year, more than a dozen in December alone. I use the two day shipping to send presents to family members for multiple occasions, including, for example, Keurig K-cups to my daughter in medical school, Legos to my nephews for Christmas, and shooting supplies to my brother.

I do shop price, and when Amazon is substantially more than other vendors, or when Amazon doesn't carry a product, I go with other vendors. When I need something that day, I will shop and buy locally.

I've been able to get a good price on car parts on Amazon, and the net cost of shipping, when amortizing the Prime membership over all my orders, is less than the cost of driving my car to shop for that item.

When you consider the value of my time that I save in being able to shop and ship with Prime, it's a screaming deal.

Confidentially, I ordered some watch band pins, a set of electronic shooting muffs for my wife, and a Garmin mount, just before logging onto BITOG. They will arrive Tuesday, and saved me the time and gas looking in three different stores for those things.

And given my historic order patterns, that savings in time and gas cost about $1.00 of my annual Prime membership.

Last edited:
I ordered a few days a go and it was $35, First they raised the prime rate now the free shipping rate.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Prime is now $100/year.

I ordered a brake rotor thru prime on friday and got it thursday. I think they mean "two-ish days", like Priority Mail segued into.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Prime is now $100/year.

I ordered a brake rotor thru prime on friday and got it thursday. I think they mean "two-ish days", like Priority Mail segued into.

2 days once shipped.

Always check the availability and " guaranteed by" date. Many products don't ship the same day, despite Prime shipping.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

2 days once shipped.

Always check the availability and " guaranteed by" date. Many products don't ship the same day, despite Prime shipping.

Their ad should be "get free 2 day shipping on millions of items (and six day shipping on millions more.)"
laugh.gif

They don't actually promise it on all, most, or a more quantifiable percentage of their stuff.

Not only is the shipping going up, I've noticed many items now are "add on" items, which means you have to have a minimum $25 amount just to buy that item! Supplements are a good example; you can no longer just buy a bottle of supplements if the cost is under $25 even if you pay for shipping...

Do a Free 30 Trial with Prime. Free 2nd day shipping. I did and I flogged it like the Kentucky Derby over the Holidays, then cancelled in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back