New Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
An even weaker 40 grade. That works for me as I would use it in vehicles specifying 30 grade. This M1 now moves a big step closer to the PU 0w-40 SRT which is also in the 12's on 100c deg on VOA's.

Yes, with this new HTHSV, it is barely a heavy 30 weight.

It is now a year 'round usable oil for an LSx, even in the northern tier states.

That TBN is NICE!
20.gif

Would like to see a VOA eventually to check if they're maintaining the same strong Calcium, no Magnesium additive package as before. It's always seemed strange to me that the "standard" M1 PCMO's are low Ca, high Mg.

I imagine, as others have noted, that FS is to set it apart (as Full SAPS) from the new M1 ESP 0w-40. So you have Full SAPS and then the low SAPS ESP formula.

I imagine there will be an LL-01 approval on it before long, it appears to be a brand new product.

Oh, now THIS is neat!!!

According to the MSDS:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!!??????

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Oh, now THIS is neat!!!

According to the MSDS:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!!??????

Like I mentioned on other topic, Pennzoil 5W40 which aims at same market has HTHS 3.88. Wondering why M1 went to lower HTHS? Fuel efficiency? I highly doubt they could not get higehr HTHS.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Like I mentioned on other topic, Pennzoil 5W40 which aims at same market has HTHS 3.88. Wondering why M1 went to lower HTHS? Fuel efficiency? I highly doubt they could not get higehr HTHS.

Yes, Pennzoil / Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 has a HTHS of 3.88 and a nice low NOACK of 6.8 too.

In Oz Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 has a HTHS of 3.6, same as the new M1 0W-40 FS. I believe the old M1 0W-40 has a HTHS of 3.8.

The new M1 FS looks good, but it's low HTHS suggest to me that FS stands for something like "Fuel Saver".

The new version is no longer Nissan GT-R approved either. Wonder what's really different about it - did they just not reapply for approvals to save cost?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
The new version is no longer Nissan GT-R approved either. Wonder what's really different about it - did they just not reapply for approvals to save cost?

I am not sure that Nissan GT-R is specification at all. I would say it is marketing trick.

It is one of the highest performance engines on the market though. So the question is, does the new oil just not meet Nissan requirements anymore? I'm not too impressed by it.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
It is one of the highest performance engines on the market though. So the question is, does the new oil just not meet Nissan requirements anymore? I'm not too impressed by it.

It is hard to know what to think. On the surface, this oil looks like it could be pretty neat. But I know the old 0W-40 is amazing in just about every application it is used in. It's what I use in everything around here. I'm a little nervous now. But I will probably try the FS stuff in my S2K if I can find it; the S2K really calls for a 10W-30, so a 0W-40 that is a little bit thinner seems like a good compromise.

robert

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

It is missing that, and LL-01. I am watching to see if those two come back. The product is new so perhaps there are time constraints that caused those two to not be initially on the product?
21.gif

I have an idea that may help determine if this is Nissan GT-R approved.

What would happen if you went to a Nissan dealer and observed oil changes? If you saw someone use this in a GT-R, it might be evidence that this is the right stuff.

I have another idea. What if Nissan ordered the original 0w40 oil from Mobil, called it "GT-R oil" and charged a fortune for it? It would be a great marketing trick.

Nissan specified the use of M1 0w40 claiming that it was compatible with the spray welded cylinder liners. The current Ford 5.0L has the same technology, but it doesn't specify M1 0w40.

Just bcs. it is good engine and car has good performance, does not eman specification is very tough. If we would fallow that logic then we would all use Shell/Pennzoil since Ferrarri use it, or whatever Lambo use it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Just bcs. it is good engine and car has good performance, does not eman specification is very tough. If we would fallow that logic then we would all use Shell/Pennzoil since Ferrarri use it, or whatever Lambo use it.

I would bet the GTR is harder on oil than Ferrari and Lamborghini's. How many 600hp turbo 6 cylinders are there on the market? I can't even think of another one. And the car is aimed at track use as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back