Mobil 1 now containing GTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
From the MSDS for the new Mobil 1 FS 0w-40:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!!

So this either means they finally got their own bloody GTL plant on-line (which they have been working on) or they are buying GTL from SOPUS.

Is this across all the Mobil 1 premium synthetic line, or just the one that was listed?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Is this across all the Mobil 1 premium synthetic line, or just the one that was listed?

This is the first oil from them that I've seen this listed in the MSDS. If they finally got their GTL plant online we should be seeing more of it across the board and they phase it into their products.

I not quite the oil geek that some of you chemists are. I think GTL is an interesting topic, but what makes GTL better than other synthetic oils - if it is better?

Wemay hit the nail spot on the head. Thanks for that cool link sir Wemay
11.gif
10.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/422/gas-to-liquids

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I not quite the oil geek that some of you chemists are. I think GTL is an interesting topic, but what makes GTL better than other synthetic oils - if it is better?

Shouldn't forget that Shell had their XHVI a while ago (which they marketted as "mineral with synthetic perfromance" back in the 90s.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...k_-#Post3471384

and that part of the GTL process is creating a wax from the Gas.

Originally Posted By: dparm
So is Visom a thing of the past?

It was always meant to be an interim product to supplement PAO until Mobil got their GTL plant online. They had issues with the first plant and it was cancelled causing VISOM to be used a lot longer than expected IMHO.

Will try to find some details on whether Mobil has their own GTL facility online now and the name of it.

What is the economic benefit of moving to GTL, when XOM is such a large producer of top notch PAO base oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back