Automatic Braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found in my inbox this morning.

Critics: Consumers to lose in provate talks on auto braking

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal regulators and the auto industry are taking a more lenient approach than safety advocates like when it comes to phasing in automatic braking systems for passenger cars, according to records of their private negotiations.

The technology automatically applies brakes to prevent or mitigate collisions, rather than waiting for the driver to act. It's the most important safety technology available today that's not already required in cars.

Such systems should be standard in all new cars, says the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. But instead of mandating it, the government is trying to work out a voluntary agreement with automakers in hopes of getting it in cars more quickly.

But safety advocates say voluntary agreements aren't enforceable and are likely to contain weaker standards and longer timelines than if the government had issued rules.

"Consumers are going to come up the losers in this process," said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety.

"This is what happens when you start negotiating with the auto industry," said Joan Claybrook, a safety advocate and NHTSA's administrator during the Carter administration. "They want to negotiate this out and they want to negotiate that out," and establish a deadline driven by their production schedules rather than safety considerations.

Mark Rosekind, NHTSA's administrator, has said the federal rule-making process is so cumbersome and time-consuming that a voluntary agreement is likely to get the technology into all cars faster. He said regulations remain an option.

"Regulations can be too rigid when technology like this is changing quickly," said Russ Rader, a spokesman for insurance institute. "A complicated regulation could make it more difficult for the automakers and their suppliers to continue to develop the systems."

NHTSA expects that any voluntary agreement will include a mechanism for the government and the public to monitor automakers' compliance with it, said Gordon Trowbridge, a spokesman for the agency.

Automatic braking is already available in dozens of car models, but typically as a pricey option on higher-end vehicles. Subaru offers it on the Impreza sedan, for example, as part of a $2,895 safety package.

Claybrook acknowledged that federal rule-making is too slow, largely because of White House insistence on elaborate cost-benefit analyses of potential safety rules.

There are about 1.7 million rear-end crashes a year in the U.S., killing more than 200 people, injuring 400,000 others and costing about $47 billion annually. More than half of those crashes could be avoided or mitigated by automatic braking or systems that warn drivers of an impending collision, NHTSA estimated.

How many are talking on cell phones? It could be a good idea . Air bags weren't

All good until you're approaching behind a car who is waiting to turn - you see his gap open up and you carry on at the same speed, knowing he is going to pull out, but your auto-brake system auto-brakes (because it can't see the other cars indicators, or the gap it's going for) and then you get rear ended by the car who didn't expect your car to auto-brake when it didn't need to.

I specifically looked for a vehicle with this feature when I bought my Jeep. I like it but I have set it off a couple times accidentally.

A car that decides wether you accelerate or not (drive by wire) and decides for itself IF it brakes for you (collision avoidance),and has to think about allowing you to steer (electric power steering),and squeals on you if you lie about a driving technique you performed (black box),and keeps you from doing a brake stand "lol" (brake-gas override) is no car I would ever want to buy.

Originally Posted By: Olas
All good until you're approaching behind a car who is waiting to turn - you see his gap open up and you carry on at the same speed, knowing he is going to pull out, but your auto-brake system auto-brakes (because it can't see the other cars indicators, or the gap it's going for) and then you get rear ended by the car who didn't expect your car to auto-brake when it didn't need to.

The reality is system works correctly because other drivers despite indicator or implied intentions may never do what you expect.

I was just enjoying my ABS disallowing my brakes to grab going down my icy driveway hill this morning - ran right out into the street at 25mph. Glad no one was walking by.
Wonderful.
Now where's the fuse for this worthless mandated garbage!

Will joan claybrook pay my insurance deductible?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I was just enjoying my ABS disallowing my brakes to grab going down my icy driveway hill this morning - ran right out into the street at 25mph. Glad no one was walking by.
Wonderful.

You do 25mph in your driveway?

What happens in these systems if someone cuts you off on the interstate with a carlength or less room? Does it panic brake automatically?

Originally Posted By: getbent
What happens in these systems if someone cuts you off on the interstate with a carlength or less room? Does it panic brake automatically?
That never happens 'cause the nanny state made it "against the law".

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Wonderful.

Sounds like someone needs to sand their driveway and slow down before heading out. Blame the guy in your rear view mirror not some safety agency.....

I was certainly intrigued by this "feature" when I bought a new car. I skipped on this but did pay for the blind spot warning and lane departure warning. After using them, I dont like either of those features: the blind spot warning does not seem to work properly for my driving; and I'm unsure of how the lane departure warning helps me except when I am weaving when I am intoxicated.....

does anyone actually have "automatic braking" and can weigh in?

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I was certainly intrigued by this "feature" when I bought a new car. I skipped on this but did pay for the blind spot warning and lane departure warning. After using them, I dont like either of those features: the blind spot warning does not seem to work properly for my driving; and I'm unsure of how the lane departure warning helps me except when I am weaving when I am intoxicated.....

does anyone actually have "automatic braking" and can weigh in?

I love the blind spot monitoring feature. Will never buy another car without it.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I will do my own braking.
That's always worked well for me too. I'm also wondering about the blind spot stuff. I've never had a problem there either.

mine does not seem to work consistently; sometimes it warns me, and sometimes not. admittedly, it's my wife's car, and I usually only drive it when it needs gas - so I have not figured out exactly what is "wrong". perhaps it has to do with whether the car in the other lane is gaining on me or whether I am passing it? Nissan system... certainly I like the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back