98corolla, replace universal exhaust with direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again all! Pretty much as title says...my 98 corolla, developed a leak other day, ihave mostly stopped. Iferno its called, good 2000 degrees F. a putty material. The leak developed along where cat pipe meets cat body, coming from front of engine. Lost some car performace. You can tell, its time too replace it. The body is rusted, no silver or metal showing...its dead.
Now, i had noticed some smoke coming from bottom of engine..the pipe going too manifold, had some smoke coming out, but after covering catleak, it stopped, but thiers still noise coming form pipe manifold area.
Its still the original pipes and cat and muffler. Its all universal, welded together. I want too do this myslef, relace it all. But with direct , bolt it together myself. Is it possible too install direct too this car? im replacing everything including new muffkerm and resonator pipe. I have too, as the original is all welded.
im mostly looking at walker, a system kit.

where the exhaust manifold meets the exhaust pipe, there is a gasket, if someone played with it before, odds are they installed the bolts incorrectly.

on the 98-02 corollas, I have never seen the those bolts survive, they rust out and the threads on the manifold as well.

take a proper Tap M10 x1.25? I have one in my tools, I will confirm it and re-post against later. But tap out the holes properly, then buy some new exhaust bolts, dorman makes a very nice kit, coat it with anti-seize and install, if you did it right, everything will go back by hand, smoothly. Also replace the exhaust donut gasket, if it seems abused, I have reused gaskets on the 00-05 celicas, 03-08 matrix/vibe, their exhaust manifold is designed differently and that gasket never wears out.

Thanks! I havnt had time too thoroughly jack the front up, jackstands, and get under it too thoroughly look. It did stop smoking, which is weird.
I do know, itseither the manifold pipe too cat gasket, or bolts.
MY initial question was, and is....the entire exhaust system right now, looks welded together, from cat all the way too muffler. IF i purchase a brand new direct blot on setup exhaust, will this work as replacement for whats under the corolla now?
smile.gif

The main reason is, the cat. its sooooo rusted and the weld from exhaust pipe too top of cat leaked. I was temporarily mostly too plug it, with inferno metal putty stuff. Thiers still aslight leak as the car has lost a tad power. can feel it driving. I bought some tiger i think its called? exhasut tape. directions say too put some aluminum foil down. im guna wrap it up.
I cant replace the cat, because its welded too the resonator, and resonator welded too exhaust pipe, and that appears too be welded too beginning of muffler. Im planning on simply taking it all out, and buyinf a new bolt on version exhaust. nothing special walker from NAPA. IM looking at $ 400 plus $50 of course, but again, the cat is plugged.
a muffler shop is gunna charge me $800 plus easy...hence do it myself

I used this for Direct Bolt on, worked like a charm, but there is still a small pipe from exhaust manifold to cat, which is not included, but that part should be perfectly fine, just do my suggestion regarding those exhaust manifold bolts and this to complete the whole process.
2la4vvp.png

Last edited:
Thanks! im gunna look into that! I saw this other night, i was browsing through rock auto, looking at exhaust kits. A guy i saw on a youtube video, his 99 corolla, he bought a brand new magnaflow setup, all bolt on, and the manifold pipe was too small, too fit into the begining of the cat, on the magnaflow. Gave me the idea, too ask, and here i am....
$169!thats not bad at all! however, i havnt looked thoroughly under the car, but form what ive seen so far, it appears, everything is welded. So ide have too buy an entire kit anyway, not just the CAT. I wanna do dirext fit, not universal. Under my corolla, it appears to be universal.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
Thanks! im gunna look into that! I saw this other night, i was browsing through rock auto, looking at exhaust kits. A guy i saw on a youtube video, his 99 corolla, he bought a brand new magnaflow setup, all bolt on, and the manifold pipe was too small, too fit into the begining of the cat, on the magnaflow. Gave me the idea, too ask, and here i am....
$169!thats not bad at all! however, i havnt looked thoroughly under the car, but form what ive seen so far, it appears, everything is welded. So ide have too buy an entire kit anyway, not just the CAT. I wanna do dirext fit, not universal. Under my corolla, it appears to be universal.
What I linked is a direct fit as long as your pipes are original, this will fit on directly, without requiring modifications, just make sure you purchase the before and after gaskets ahead of time.

I just looked at the same kit, rockauto.. I see the picture for that eastern CAT, also shows the middle pipe and resonator...
Does that kit, come with the middle pipe and resonator too, for that price? Or is it just a representation picture they put in, and only selling the CAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back