Tell me about AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I believe there were a few AMC Matadors on Adam-12 and the Dukes of Hazzard!

The CHP used them, also...and Bobby Allison and Mark Donahue ran them in NASCAR.

The LAPD and the LASD used quite a number of them but CHP used Dodge extensively:

http://vintagechpcars.com/list.htm

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Old Mustang Guy said:
In 1975 I was a rookie police officer on the Dallas P.D. We got AMC Matador squad cars that year. Worst cars ever. We got Pontiac Le Mans in 76. Much better.

Daddy, the top came off!

protectedimage.php

Buford-T.-Justice-and-Junior.png
[/qu "shut up, one s*#@ at a time." "soon as I get home, I'm gonna punch you moma in the mouth"

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember a Nash or AMC vehicle having the water pump mounted on the side of the engine and driven by a shaft off of the generator. This set up always seemed to have gushers coming from the water pump. ANyone remember this?

I'm a copcar guy so...

Info not on Wikipedia:

LAPD bought over 500 Matadors in 1971/72. Biggest fleet. FBI also seemed to have liked them, too but probably just based on low bid price.

CHP bought less than 10 of the Eagles; no one can pin down the exact number.
Only one known to exist and it belongs to a guy that comes to our copcar show every year.

Alabama Dept of Public Safety/State Troopers bought ~130 1972/1973 Javelins.

One of the two FBI agents killed at Wounded Knee drove a '72 AMC Ambassador. It was a high trim Brougham model. Probably to "blend in" more.

You should be able to find pics of these cars on the net.

I always thought the '63 - '69 or so AMC/Rambler cars were nice looking especially the Javelin and AMX.

AMC stories...

Around '76-'77 I was in Cub Scouts and one of the den mothers had a purple '68 Javelin SST with the 343. That car was very cool and sounded good. It seemed fast when I rode in it too. I'd love to have one of those today.

Like this one:

http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1968-amc-javelin-5101

At the same time a friend's mother had a '73 Hornet 2 door hatchback with a 232 and 3 speed floor shift. That car sure wasn't as interesting but it seemed like it would have been OK to drive as it seemed to be peppy with the manual 3 speed.

A neighbor had a two-tone black and white '61 Rambler Cross Country wagon. Interesting styling for sure (the '63 on styling was much nicer in my opinion than the '61). It had the 196 Nash OHV straight six and Borg Warner pushbutton automatic. That was a rare car to see on the road in the mid/late '80s. I got a chance to drive it and I remember it being a tight car. If memory serves, the door window frames were unusual as they were made of extruded aluminum.

It was like this:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-...ultimate-motel/

I drove an early '80s AMC Concord wagon around 1989 with a 258 and a 4 speed. It was torquey and would easily burn rubber. That must have been a rare bird too.

Andrew S.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back