Shock question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a 1986 Buick T Type Regal and need to change the shocks from the current Monroe Gas-Matic's. I am looking at KYB and Bilstein shocks for the swap. I do not want a mushy ride. Any opinions?

I put KYB shocks on the back of my Malibu. I like a soft controlled ride. The KYBs were stiffer than the stock dampers. Maybe they will be to your liking, but I wish I had left the old ones on the car.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Bilstein probably makes the most highly regarded off-the-shelf shock for G-bodies.
For most every "body".
cheers3.gif

You got 30 years out of those springs..replace them with moog springs and put some bilsteins on if the car is a keeper.

KYB is a great budget shock.. but Kill Your Back is what ive heard them called. They take awhile to get broken in.

Last edited:
I've heard many good things about KYB for the money. My understanding is that bilstein is a top-notch product, though.

I am running Bilstein 5100 shocks on my truck and am very happy with them. Be aware that I bought the truck used with the shocks installed already so I have no OE baseline to compare.

Sounds like the KYB Excel-G/GR-2 would be great for what you say you want. They are good quality, long lasting, not overly soft. They are only a few dollars each more than the cheapest Monroes or Gabriels you can get, so a great value. With slightly softer valving, this is the OE shock in most Lexus and Toyotas.

I have KYB Excel-Gs on the rear of my 2002 Ranger, Motorcraft (aftermarket grade) on the front. They have over 50K miles on them now and I am very happy with them. I'd definitely buy them again. Despite being on a pickup, I don't find them to be overly harsh or rough. The rear end is firm going over bumps, but not jittery or jarring at all. I am very pleased, especially considering the price, and would definitely buy them again. They replaced Gas Matics that rode rough and had less than 20K on them, and one was leaking. Just about anything, including a similar grade Gabriel, will be better than Gas Matics. I admittedly have Gas Matics on my 1994 Ranger because they were $20 each and on the shelf right now, but they aren't a shock I generally recommend.

Does anyone know if the KYB's or Bilstein's will raise the vehicle height on my 86 T-Type with 27K?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back