Why am I killing 5.9 Cummins CR injectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2003 Cummins 5.9 commonrail had a new CP3 and the 6 original injectors were rebuilt 3 years and almost 65,000 miles ago, that was at around 110,000 or so. The diesel shop said the injectors tested 'weak' at that time, whatever that meant. Something to do with how much pressure they could hold I think. We change the fuel filter when we change the oil, every 10K and we use Wix fuel filters. Fuel is mostly out of our bulk tank from a local fuel company, no moisture issues in any of our equipment/trucks and the fuel company changes the filter on the tank with every delivery (400 +/- gallons).

She just ate the #6 injector. Symptoms were an instant level of bro truck coal rollin' smoke. I really wanted to make a video to share our bro truck follies. The exhaust smelled horrid and smelled hot, like a hot foundry.

We took it back to the same diesel shop that did the original work. Of course we were out of the warranty and we opted for 6 new injectors, being worried the other 5 might fail soon as well. Before you freak out that we put 6 new injectors in, if the truck isn't running and on the road, it isn't making us $$$$ and the diesel shop is over an hour away.

Anyone else have problems with their 5.9 fuel system as it gets long in the tooth?

I would avoid using the Wix fuel filters, and use the Baldwin PF7977. Its 5 Microns ABSOLUTE where as even the upgraded Fleetguard is 7 Microns.

I think the Wix is 10...

Last edited:
So the ones that are failing now are the rebuild ones? Maybe a poor job of rebuilding? I thought when they rebuild, everything is new but the shell. Maybe not.

How much is a set of injectors installed?

I have a 5.9L Cummins but not commonrail. Have not done anything to the engine except had an Airdog lift pump installed.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
I would avoid using the Wix fuel filters, and use the Baldwin PF7977. Its 5 Microns ABSOLUTE where as even the upgraded Fleetguard is 7 Microns.

I think the Wix is 10...

Stop using the Wix! It does not strip out water and the water can cause erosion because of the high pressures in the CR. Lots of warranty denials due to use of WIX instead of the correct Mopar/Fleetguard units. I'll post a link shortly....

By the way, I had a 2012 6.7 Ram. I thought WIX was okay too - but I found out otherwise....

Originally Posted By: 97K15004WD
By the way, I had a 2012 6.7 Ram. I thought WIX was okay too - but I found out otherwise....

Yeah, I have a 2010. I only use the Nanonet filter which is used in the 2013 and up but it fits.

5 Micron inner and 3 Micron inner, not sure about efficiency though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Looking at Baldwin and Fleetguard filters now.

We had wondered about an additive but didn't know what to use/try. It seems opinions on additives are like you know what...

So the nozzles were replaced, and they were pop tested and balanced when rebuilt? Were they shimmed properly?

Weak sounds like poor pop pressure. Doing that would perhaps cause different combustion profiles.

Cummins does not recommend any additives that emulsify water. The water should be stripped out by the filter so none reaches the HPCR components to prevent damage. The newer diesels are much more sensitive to water than the older ones due to the high pressures required for the HPCR engines.

I use Fleetguard on my Cummins but its not a common rail.

Having said that it sounds like the injectors were poorly rebuilt.

Are you running any additives?

Last edited:
I thought older diesels it was recommended to run a fuel additive to increase the Cetane for lubricity due to ultra low sulfur fuel. Isn't this for both the injectors and fuel pump lubrication?

Some older diesels need proper lubricity in the fuel. If the fuel has what's needed then fine, otherwise an additive is a good idea to make sure there is proper lubricity. The best bang for the buck is gallons of 2 cycle oil from Walmart. One oz per gallon.

I believe it's mainly needed by mechanical injector pumps like the VP44 in Cummins diesels.

I do not think any need an additive for cetane.

For some winter conditions an anti-gel may be needed. But often that because a long haul truck in the winter fuels in FL and takes a load to Maine. The FL fuel is not a winter blend like fuel in Maine will be.

Originally Posted By: Donald

How much is a set of injectors installed?

$1,600 parts & $600 labor.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So the nozzles were replaced, and they were pop tested and balanced when rebuilt? Were they shimmed properly?

I am assuming so but would not have known to ask those questions 3 years ago (or even this time). The work was done at a large, well established, diesel shop. Most smaller diesel shops in the area take injectors to this shop for testing and rebuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back