Warming up engine is useless and waste gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dri...rticle23196146/

Quote:
Virtually every car on the market today is equipped with a fuel-injection system that adjusts gasoline delivery based on temperature, throttle setting and engine load – because of this, your car can be driven almost immediately, even at low temperatures.

What do you guys think?

I personally wait around 1 min until my windshield defrosted

Last edited:
Well you can't drive if you can't see..use common sense.

My 5 speed in the Nissan won't shift into reverse very easily if it's below freezing outside and I don't warm it up for two minutes

absolutely just gun it and go, change your oil once a year , my car has clear coat no need to wax it, run it through the automatic car wash perfectly safe. all gasoline is the same. Thoughts from the unwashed.

Warming up the engine IS a waste of gas.

Scrape the ice or brush the snow off the windshield, get in the vehicle, fire it up and go.

Vehicle warms up a lot faster when it is being driven.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I am on my way within 15 seconds or so. I do take it easy the first few miles though.

+1.

If the glass has a frozen or foggy coating, then things are different. Otherwise, better to start moving.

If the car is frozen and I need to scrape the glass, I'll usually start it so it can idle while I do that job.

Article could be written better. It states that "Using a block heater can dramatically reduce the wear on your engine by improving oil flow on initial start-up" then criticizes long idles as wasteful, yet entirely ommits that 5-10 seconds of idling to get oil flowing IS good and not wasteful (as well as common knowledge).

Excluding extreme cold warming up an engine by idling may not be a good idea. The most wear is experienced from right after startup until normal temperature is reached. It's better to get going and speed up the warm up process. This assumes that you'll drive in a reasonable manner.

Ep additives work dead cold and wear is the same under load as it is at idle, hths is fine at 1.0.
No thanks, I'll stick to common sense.

My method is that I start the car before I do anything else. Get in and start it, buckle seat belt, hvac, stereo, (maybe sunglasses), turn radar detector on, place my phone where I want it. Go. I drive lightly until oil temp is over 100. I do the opposite when warm.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Since I drive a 40 year old car on very cold days I do let it idle like 30 seconds before going, it definetly warms up quicker driving than just idling

My mazda 3 would take 30 minutes at least to reach working temperature.

Yes it has a gauge in the dash

No feedback and no closed loop, and a wet manifold means I always 'warm up' for a minute or so when the weather is cold.
As soon as the coolant temp. needle moves I drive away.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Ep additives work dead cold and wear is the same under load as it is at idle, hths is fine at 1.0.
No thanks, I'll stick to common sense.

What are you exactly saying here...
a) what is a "common sense" approach ?
b) how do you get an HTHS of 1.0 ?
c) which is better, slightly higher load to speed up warmup, or idling it for an half hour to get everything hot before driving ?

Macwest is just trolling, so no point getting him to explain his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back