Replacement due but still clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently noticed that my engine air filter was due change but when I look at it, it was completely clean.

Should I still replace it or hold up?

Wait! Id use til its dirty..even then its likely not causing any restriction..but Im more on side of changing early rather then later. I usually swap mine once a year. Guessing I drive about 20k kms per year.

$30 each filter
frown.gif

buying from stealership

I think that may be a good idea.

Due according to what schedule? If the manufacturer sets a time or mileage schedule, it may not actually match up to the "best" interval for your particular usage pattern. If you're going off of the replacement schedule on the air filter box, then it is definitely to early.

My Suburban came from the factory with an air filter restriction gauge that indicates when it is time to change based on the actual filter restriction, which looks like will be 50k+ miles, and that is in a dry and dusty environment. It is like using an oil life monitor vs changing based strictly on mileage or time.

Changing too early is bad because the filter actually filters better when partially loaded. With the limited info you provided, I say keep it in.

I rather have an older/dirty filter but put a new rubber gasket around it(if yours has one) if you ever opened it, but out here in St. Louis, MO, even neglected cars barely ever have a dirty air filter from what I have seen.

I think I'm setting my interval at 60k to check and see and replace rubber, I highly doubt I would need to change it.

Anyone can understand that airflow is the easiest metric to monitor an air filter.

Weighing the filter element before installation and subtracting that number from weights taken periodically throughout the filter's life might be another.

I just don't have faith in a cheap plastic thing which looks like it's a prize from a Coney Island Claw Machine.

Every vehicle I've had, has an intake air pressure readout available on my scangauge. I don't recall any having any significant vacuum even at full power with filters having 30-40k miles on them.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
$30 each filter
frown.gif

buying from stealership

I think that may be a good idea.

Why not buy something non OEM? I find the difference between Toyota OEM and Fram to be very negligable at best. If I could I would buy mine in bulk.. maybe worth checking amazon.ca, rock auto etc... or napa.

100% wait. Take it out, shake out anything in it and vacuum the air box. Enjoy the money you would otherwise be donating to the dealership.

If it looks clean to you then it probably is still clean and would simply be a waste of money and a good filter just to change out.

I can think of some really good beers to drink and enjoy instead of wasting a good 30 buck filter.

I put almost 100k on my last air filter, filter minder didn't move at all. I replaced it because it'd been 5 years and I figured it was time. The manual recommends 25k IIRC.

I you open the box, you clean the box and put a new filter in. Otherwise DONT OPEN THE BOX! Biggest source of dirt and particulate ingestion and possible cyl scoring and damage! Maybe it's not clean, just clean appearing dirt micro-particulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back