Which state is the worst state to run a business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas doesn't have a state income tax, so instead they charge property taxes, sales tax, self employment taxes etc. It's ridiculous. I was under the impression that most services are sales tax exempt. I think that the only service that isn't taxable is the repair industry and even then they collect sales tax on parts. Correction.. labor type services.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm inclined to say that the best state in which to run a business is one where per capita incomes are high so the average resident has enough money in their jeans to pay for what you're trying to peddle. Everyone already knows this, so there's plenty of competition.
OTOH, a low income state like WV or MS might offer real opportunity, since the residents still have more money in their jeans than do ninety-eight out of a hundred people in the world and there will likely be less competition.
Taxes are just a cost of doing business and they tend to be higher in the strongest markets.

Originally Posted By: horse123
California. California is basically the worst state to anything in.

My face when I read this post

himZD0M.jpg

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: horse123
California. California is basically the worst state to anything in.

My face when I read this post

himZD0M.jpg

That was mine too.

CA is awesome, there are 4 different air pollution agencies dictating sand pits and you have to pay off all of them and they give you different rules. Fire and county do the same thing. One says driveway approach must be 75' wide other says must be under 60'. Then they come to my store and want to buy things they don't need so they don't get a reduced budget next year.

Hawaii. If it isn't the high cost of living, it's people blindingly objecting to the project. One example was the Thirty Meter Telescope they were supposed to build ontop Mauna Kea.

I owned a Bar for ten years here in California. Everyone has their hand out wanting money from you. I spent thousands in permits and license fees every year. Had to pay the music fees to ASCAP. Can't have bands or a juke box without paying them off. Sales tax alone ran almost $100k a year. I sold it in 2008. I lost interest in owning a business in this state.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: oemjunk
NY of course

It seems New York has taken tangible steps to help business's to create new higher skilled trades and jobs.

http://esd.ny.gov/businessprograms/taxes_incentives.html

Still not enough, though. Read yesterday that manufacturing in NY state has decreased for the 7th straight month, bringing it to the lowest level since the depression. I can't recall if the measure was the number of jobs in manufacturing or sales. Either way, NY is at the very least, still perceived by those who do business there as being unfriendly to industry.

Last edited:
California.

We lead the world in sending small business away.

The state works great for giant companies in the silicon valley and terrible for everyone else.

We just drove Toyota out of So Cal.

UD

I watch a mechanic on youtube based in NY state and the stuff he has to go through is insane.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
I watch a mechanic on youtube based in NY state and the stuff he has to go through is insane.

Is it south main auto? I watch that guy all the time.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
California.

We lead the world in sending small business away.

Cal is the Texas economy's best friend. Seriously.

Originally Posted By: oemjunk
NY of course

NY has some pretty high taxes. But is not saddled with all the restrictions on almost any made that Calif has. And Calif has no water and may fall into the ocean when the next earthquake hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back