Went to several dealers looking at SUVs today…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to several dealers looking at SUVs today…

First time with the wife. Planned on hitting Honda (Pilot), Hyundai (Santa Fe) and Chevy (Transverse) dealerships. Amazingly, the two Honda and two Hyundai dealerships were all out of the Santa Fe and Pilot (And also didn’t have the brochure), while the Chevy had stock and the brochure.

That got me wondering if:
1) Hyundai and Honda doing excellent work in selling their vehicles while Chevy isn’t
2) Honda and Hyundai are just more reliable and such the issue with stock.

I’m a bit worried that if this continues that I might end up having problems getting a good deal with Honda and Hyundai due to the vehicle shortage.

This occurred in San Diego, if it matters.

Seems like you could get a better deal on the Chevy. Depreciation will be higher.

Honda may be more reliable.

Hyundai not sure about reliability.

The Pilot is brand-new for 2016 while the Traverse is a carryover due to be replaced with an all-new model for 2017. I expect this has a lot to do with buyer interest and dealer stock. On the other hand, you should be able to get a great deal on a Traverse.

Have you considered a Mazda CX-5 or upcoming CX-9 based on needs? Much nicer interior than years before, excellent skyactiv drivetrain, good resale and fun to drive. I've so far had good experiences at about 5 different dealers too. Service is excellent and parts are no longer overpriced.

there are alot of choices in this category - but I'd have to agree that a Honda or a Toyota would be much more reliable than a Chevy. an acquaintance just got rid of a 3 YO Traverse that was consuming oil and GM would not do anything about it.

Consumers Reports shows the Chevy as being more reliable than the Honda and the Hyundai. The Hyundai has less than average reliability while the Honda is rated average and the Chevy above average. While GM has gotten better, it seems todays Japanese vehicles are not what they once were.

Had a Honda Civic Several parts broke.
Trans didnt want to shift into sencond after 24000 k fluid change fixed it, Rear door lock broke out of warranty had to fix myself.
Clutch frame broke out of warranty they only charged for time.

Had a Hyundai no parts broke.
Have a Chevrolet so far nothing has broke.
Have had a couple Pontiacs where nothing has broken.
Had a couple Dodges where alot broke.

If there are not any vehicles available-you can assume the discounts will be very, very small.

Why should they discount to you when people are waiting in line to buy them?

Honda and Toyota have been resting on their laurels for a while now. The 2016 Pilot is a redesign so expect typical bugs. Not sure what trims you're looking at, but the Elite and Touring have the same 9-speed ZF tranny as the MDX. Check out the threads on the MDX and Pilot forums about issues people are having with it.

Last edited:
Have you also considered safety ratings, too.

This past weekend a family in a brand new one week old CR-V got nailed by a U-Haul truck. The CR-V was completely destroyed with the engine and front end torn off along with one rear wheel.

The two adults, the toddler in a baby seat and the young boy in a booster seat were unhurt. They were taken to the local ER, examined and released. No injuries. The CR-V was hauled off on a flatbed in two pieces.

The U-Haul driver went to the hospital in a big rush and was soon in surgery.

There are three lessons to lean from this. Pick a safe vehicle. Use the proper seats for the little ones and...........

..........stay far, far away from rental trucks.

I know some dealers do it on purpose to create more demand for stock. I dont know how but for example one of the Toyota dealers near me has a 6-12 month waiting list for a highlander..per my friend who works there. They had none on the lot i could test drive...im not sure how it'd get me to buy it without driving it..but anyways..food for thought.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Consumers Reports shows the Chevy as being more reliable than the Honda and the Hyundai.

LMAO

These are not actual SUV's but rather cross-overs to be technical. However they are nice and serve a need. I can 1st hand say I was inpressed with the Pilot. It is a nice vehicle. Do also take a hard look at the Traverse as it is very nice too. The hyundai I am not too impressed with. Bottom line 0 get what YOU like and not what we tell you lol

Last edited:
My Mechanic has told me horror stories about the Traverse and it's corporate cousins. Especially the HVAC system.

This man has never steered me wrong.

If your buying, why not a 2WD Highlander? geez this is your chance to get into a Toyota, don't blow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back