-31 this morning...without the wind chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Back in the day, those of us who are old enough to have been there used conventional oils in everything for all temperatures.
Synthetics were rare and costly while conventionals could be had on sale for a little bit of nothing.
We thought nothing of cold weather use and our engines lasted well.
Today, outside of boards like this one, conventional motor oil continues to be the choice of most owners, although this is a choice that most owners never make since they have no idea what any given service outlet puts in and it rarely occurs to them to ask. I'd even suspect that most engines for which 0W-20 is recommended probably get conventional 5W-20 as the service fill.
All of this seems to do no harm.
Nothing wrong with conventional motor oil and if I didn't have a large stash of cheaply bought syn, I'd likely be using it myself.
We have collectively brainwashed ourselves into believing that synthetic is ever so much better than conventional, but I'm convinced that there is little to choose between the two for most applications.
The OP's experience illustrates this well.

Excellent post. Most folks just read synthetic or conventional on the labels and make assumptions. The avg joe has no concept of MRV.

I would agree that we are splitting hairs here. I started Opel Vectra 2.0 16V on -42c in Bosnian mountains using 15W40 conventional oil and it survived and [censored], drove next 150k
smile.gif

It's been below zero for days. It was -29 last night and -7 today. I'd rather have a syn in my sump during the winter.

It's still bitter tonight.
IMG_20160214_205242.jpg

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I would agree that we are splitting hairs here. I started Opel Vectra 2.0 16V on -42c in Bosnian mountains using 15W40 conventional oil and it survived and [censored], drove next 150k
smile.gif

40 below is not splitting hairs. You also can start and run an engine with no oil and it will run quite a while. What happened is the 15w40 failed to pull up into the pump. The engine ran with no oil pressure for a while until enough heat finally softened the oil to the point where it would get a sip periodically. That hot oil dripped back into the sump to further soften the oil gell mass until you finally had full flow.

Why would anyone want to put their engine through that? Especially when you can get a modern cold flow oil for 5 bucks or less?

Stubborn folks here.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
First real cold start for the new truck this morning. Actual temp was -31...wind chill below -50. Valvoline conventional 5w30 seemed to handle things fine. Started right up and engine was nice and quiet right off the bat...pipes in the house froze as I didn't have the faucets running over night like I should have...but that's another story.

DH, that's great to hear!
thumbsup2.gif

If you want to see some impressive UOA numbers on a conventional oil (MS5K) go to the Gasoline UOA forum and look up BITOG member 2015_PSD's UOA's. I think that conventional oil gets a bad rep around here compared to synthetic oil. This is just my opinion.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I don't understand why running a lite oil in winter and heavy oil in summer is now out of vogue. It's the way it was done for many years

That's one of the reasons why multigrades came about in the first place, to minimize or avoid seasonal switches.

Conventionals just meet the spec. Synthetic beats the spec with plenty of margin. That's why they assign a number to it rather than pass fail.

In addition to Dave's example, Petro-Canada 5w-30 synthetic has poorer MRV numbers than Petro-Canada 5w-30 conventional. Nonetheless, as you mention, using a 15w-40 in -42 isn't a great idea. As I've stated before, just because you can get an engine to start with a poor oil choice in horrifically cold weather doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Originally Posted By: DoubleApex
It's -10F here this morning with about -33F with the wind chill. I started my car and went to the store and the noises were terrifying. My power steering pump was making a lot of noise, my blinkers were not working consistently until about halfway home, my transmission shifted very stiff initially, and the cd player had a high pitched squeal as the CD spun.

I couldn't imagine it much colder.

You need to swap to synthetic blinker fluid for those temps.

LOL!!!
You've just made my day!

Originally Posted By: wemay

We have collectively brainwashed ourselves into believing that synthetic is ever so much better than conventional, but I'm convinced that there is little to choose between the two for most applications.

This is the crux of this entire post. Great line!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Fixed the "originally quoted by" for ya.
cheers3.gif

Up here in the hinterland where we live in igloos according to so many in the country below...

It is going up to 46F today and we will be going to 54F this week. Last week we got all the way up to 66F. Our igloos melted. Can't complain too much tho as it is warm enough to have a light jacket on.

Been a weird few years for me. Moved from Western New York to Texas.

You kind of lose track of the seasons, they all blend together.

We are now in the 70's and 80's all week. Nice dry weather.

It's nice to be able to get some work done on the car, and the house without freezing your rear off.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
They should change the name of the site to Bob is the SYNTHETIC Oil Guy...seems like nobody can stand the thought of a premium conventional in service in a new truck!
Most people believe the hype not realizing todays "conventional" oisl are like the conventional oils of the 1960s and 1970s

Yesterday morning I wok up to -18F, this morning to -8F, and tomorrow it'll be 40F at some point. ???

Despite having 0W20 both vehicles did not like cranking. I suspect a pair of batteries is on my shopping list for next fall.

This board has been the way it is since forever. Lots of folks who can't wrap their heads around the fact that a "conventional" oil can work acceptably even in cold temps.

I came to the conclusion long ago that based on the notions encountered hear roughly 95% of the cars on the road here shouldn't be able to start and the their engines will self destruct because we didn't use super whatever synthetic 0w-whatever.

Reality is that any decent brand conventional oil that meets the specifications required for the weather conditions will work fine. SF rated 5w30 oil did the job fine back in the day, and oil (and its ratings) have advanced (arguably) since that time.

Will Syn work better? Maybe. Is it required? No.

Originally Posted By: CT8
77*f today!

Yea, but we'll have to listen to you cry when its triple digits and you're eating smoke and dust storms.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Reality is that any decent brand conventional oil that meets the specifications required for the weather conditions will work fine.

You're right. As a matter of fact I'm going to put retreads on the vette, cause you know, they'll work fine.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Reality is that any decent brand conventional oil that meets the specifications required for the weather conditions will work fine.

You're right. As a matter of fact I'm going to put retreads on the vette, cause you know, they'll work fine.

Put some nylon cord non belted F78-15s on there, they'll work fine.

I would hardly make the analogy that conventional vs synthetic oil is akin to new vs retread tires.
wink.gif

If you could actually find a retread meeting the size requirements and speed rating for a corvette, sure.

Good luck finding one... And that's why that arguement carries zero water...

On the other hand, Conventional oil meeting the specifications for my manufacturer are a dime a dozen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back