LOTUS NOTES MAILMAN ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i try to send a document with send email from ms word, lotus notes does'nt open and i have an error message
LOTUS NOTES MAILMAN ERROR

All help would be appreciated.

Either your location document isn't correctly configured or there is no access to the email file, such as the server being unavailable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Do people still use Lotus Notes?

Some businesses still do.

Yup. Smart businesses do. Exchange has always been a huge POS. Low reliability, high cost, horrid management. The only thing it has going for it is a "pretty" client but that is junk too.

What version of Notes and Word? There are some issues with older versions and some versions of Office.

Did we hit a time warp or something? Do people still use Lotus Notes?

Fortune 100 still has holdouts. So many custom applications were quickly knocked together that coding them in something modern is more expensive as it did so many things with a single server. Interestingly it uses a data store system(noSQL) that was so opposite at its hey day but very popular now.

Did we hit a time warp or something? Do people still use Lotus Notes?

Dude, lots of businesses do. The upkeep is so cheap that a move to Office 365 is almost always going to cost more money (though there is immensely more functionality).

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Yup. Smart businesses do. Exchange has always been a huge POS. Low reliability, high cost, horrid management. The only thing it has going for it is a "pretty" client but that is junk too.

What version of Notes and Word? There are some issues with older versions and some versions of Office.

Gross overgeneralization. Everyone is moving to Office 365 these days anyway. The era of managing on-premise Exchange is ending, save for a few very specialized use cases.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Gross overgeneralization. Everyone is moving to Office 365 these days anyway. The era of managing on-premise Exchange is ending, save for a few very specialized use cases.

People are moving towards hosted e-mail. Some will move to Google, some to O365, some to something else. Sucking on the Microsoft teet is poor for most companies. There are better solutions out there.

I can name 4 high profile companies that are NOT going to O365. 2 of them are the most valuable companies in the world, 1 started the PC business, 1 started the online shopping "revolution".

Last edited:

This. I have migrated a pile of older Exchange organizations to Office365 due to the elimination of onsite hardware costs, maintenance, upgrades....etc. I also didn't have any reliability issues with Exchange, nor issues with managing it.

I'm also quite happy with its "pretty" client, which has great AV integration with most of the major products as an addition to the protection server-side and/or edge.

People are moving towards hosted e-mail. Some will move to Google, some to O365, some to something else.

This is correct. Cloud-based mail systems have a much lower TCO than on-premises in terms of reduced hardware costs, staffing/maintenance....etc. It makes sense, particularly for SMB's.

Sucking on the Microsoft teet is poor for most companies. There are better solutions out there.

Better how? That's likely subjective and a viewpoint jaded by personal opinion.

I can name 4 high profile companies that are NOT going to O365. 2 of them are the most valuable companies in the world, 1 started the PC business, 1 started the online shopping "revolution".

That's all fine and dandy but there are plenty of high profile big orgs that ARE or HAVE gone to Office365. That really isn't a great metric here. Plenty of EDU's, States/Provinces and large orgs are using it. In fact according to this article:

https://www.skyhighnetworks.com/cloud-security-blog/surprising-benefits-office-365/

87.3% of businesses are using Office 365.

That's a lot.

Note that my intention isn't to force anybody to like any one product here. I've used most of them and like and dislike parts of each of them. But I'm also not willing to completely discount a product or shrug off its presence in the market simply because I don't like it. Plenty of folks dislike Microsoft and by extension, the products they make. We all have our own biases, realizing that and trying to be objective is a big part of the battle.

Ive worked a few big company's that have left lotus notes going to Exchange and now O365. Lotus Notes was clunky non intuitive for users and had errors you needed an IBM mainframe guy to figure out. It also was very expensive. One area I do think it does excel at is security tho.

FYI ...Beta was better than VHS and Netware was better then Microsoft and of course lotusnotes...

For the OP it sounds to me like the lotus notes client is not integrated to the system correctly. Lotus notes reinstall may help register it with windows as the email app.

Last edited:
Fair point, there are alternatives to Office 365. However, a lot of people like to say that they're shopping Google Apps when they just do it as a negotiation tactic for their OFfice 365 pricing.
smirk.gif

People are moving towards hosted e-mail. Some will move to Google, some to O365, some to something else. Sucking on the Microsoft teet is poor for most companies. There are better solutions out there.

Fair point, there are alternatives to Office 365. However, a lot of people like to say that they're shopping Google Apps when they just do it as a negotiation tactic for their OFfice 365 pricing.
smirk.gif

You work for a M$ shop? I work for 170 person IT shop and not a single person internally knows the M$ stack.

Every large business I've worked for in the past 5 years uses Office 2010 and Exchange. Exchange varies from 2003 to 2012. Lotus notes is pretty deprecated these days. Plus, exchange has well implemented AD integration, and also plays nicely with Lync, and the rest of the MS Office suite.

Not sure how extensive exchange is, but lotus notes isn't just a email and calendering program; it has messaging, desktop sharing, databases, the ability to create workflows with digital signatures, delegation etc, etc.

We have literally hundreds of LN databases with various feeds from other systems. It is the very core of many of our business processes.

To the OP, do a google search; there are many hits on the IBM website regarding the correct configuration of Notes when it is envoked by an external program

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1LO40570

Last edited:
i have built modern applications using modern web frameworks with a lotus notes backend(Java services) for legacy reasons. One application nearly 100k users/year just humming away.

Office 365 never had a lotus equivalent and typically lotus notes was coupled to Microsoft office.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Not sure how extensive exchange is, but lotus notes isn't just a email and calendering program; it has messaging, desktop sharing, databases, the ability to create workflows with digital signatures, delegation etc, etc.

We have literally hundreds of LN databases with various feeds from other systems. It is the very core of many of our business processes.

Correct, Domino is a large suite (namely with Domino Apps and the like), but so is Office.

Microsoft tends to break up some of those functionalities into standalone products (e.g. Skype For Business, SharePoint) but they do hook into Exchange very cleanly from a user's perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back