Rotella T6 5w40 - 14,000 miles - 2004 Volvo D12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2004 Volvo VNL semi truck with the D12 engine. Holds 7 gallons of oil.

I noticed my oil level going up as the miles racked on and thought maybe it could be coolant getting in but the test results seem to suggest a leaking fuel injector. What do you guys think?

Engine has 1,370,000 miles and was overhauled slightly by the previous owner @ around 1 million miles. Not sure what was done but looks like I may need some injector caps replaced...

04%20VOLVO_zpstfqqzg0m.jpg

That is some serious fuel dilution! Maybe try some BG244 Diesel Fuel System Cleaner before you replace any mechanical components on this rig?

Originally Posted By: CT8
pull the injectors and have them tested.

That sounds expensive. Any type of labor for this rig will be $140 per hour and it's just not worth it for me to "inspect". Needs to be fixed ASAP, that I can agree with.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
That is some serious fuel dilution! Maybe try some BG244 Diesel Fuel System Cleaner before you replace any mechanical components on this rig?

Never heard of BG because I don't see it on shelves. Is it any good?

Originally Posted By: Artem

That sounds expensive. Any type of labor for this rig will be $140 per hour and it's just not worth it for me to "inspect". Needs to be fixed ASAP, that I can agree with.

If you aren't going to fix it, use conventional HDEO and a 4K interval.

there is nothing cheap on a commercial vehicle!

Originally Posted By: ledslinger

If you aren't going to fix it, use conventional HDEO and a 4K interval.

My regular oil is Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40, which is dino juice. I'm currently using the 5w40 synthetic Rotella due to winter temps, to help with cold start. Once the winter starts heading out, I'll definitely be going back to conventional oil, which is way cheaper and with shorter drain intervals, it would make sense in my case.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
You have 1.85L of diesel in the sump. Thats a flushing!

Does diesel fuel even have any kind of engine cleaning power? If yes, then I guess @ 1.4 million miles, a nice internal scrub wouldn't be such a bad thing, haha.

there is nothing cheap on a commercial vehicle!

now THAT i can agree with. Shop work on a semi costs both arms and legs.

What's the dealer charge to work on the Lexus?

Last edited:
Not sure what the dealer charges for the Lexus. It's a 4 year Lease and all maintenance is included for hassle free use. The dealer replaces the oil for me every 5k miles with whatever they choose to use. I'm sure it's probably not cheap but I doubt I'll keep the car long enough to find out. Once the lease is use, I'll probably upgrade to the newest model and continue enjoying life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back