270,000 mile Ford Ranger tear down M1 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of tearing down my 1995 Ford Ranger with 270,000 miles on it. I have used M1 10W30 since 75,000 miles when I bought the truck. I run 10,000 miles between oil changes. A bolt fell through the intake and cracked a piston is the reason I am tearing it down.

Does this have any value to see a high mileage engine as opposed to looking at oil analysis? So far the cam looks good and the cross hatch on the cylinder is still visible with little wear. The valve stems show almost no wear. If there is an interest, I can document in more detail as I progress through the tear down process. The engine is run hard at high RPM's going 80-85 MPH on the way to work everyday. I was impressed with the lack of wear. I have had the truck since about the year 2000.

Perry

If you can take pics we would appreciate it. I saw a Ford 3.0 Vulcan(1998 Taurus) torn down with 180K that sucked water into the engine(tried crossing a flooded country road) and bent a rod. The engine was spotless and showed no signs of wear(was measured). Oil used, M1 10-30 at 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
Perry, if you are able to share pictures with us, I would call that FAR more helpful than UOAs! I would be interested in every little thing you could document, but I'm probably most interested in things like; the compression and oil rings, piston skirts, tiny oil galleys, places where one would expect sludge to build up, and all bearings. Thanks a mil!

Every modern engine will show crosshatch at 300-400K if maintained with the cheapest of SN oils.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Every modern engine will show crosshatch at 300-400K if maintained with the cheapest of SN oils.
Todays "conventional " oils aren't like the 1970 oils the syn oil sellers compare them to!

Yes !! I'm interested and I would love a few pictures too.

Which M1 10W-30 did you use?

Regular M1 with a HTHS of 3.0 and 900 ppm Zinc
M1 EP with a HTHS of 3.1 and 900 ppm Zinc
M1 HM with a HTHS of 3.5 and 1100 ppm Zinc

At 10K OCI? Every modern engine?

Originally Posted By: tig1

There are many silly geese on the internet
crackmeup2.gif

If the engine design is good, I expect it will be clean inside. Nothing else to expect.
thumbsup2.gif

The Lima 2.3/2.5 is a tough bugger. Mine was installed in a Mustang with a 4 speed stick. Beat the snot out of that thing from 58k to 175k. Did have to do valve seals @ 100k but it started every time and would run for miles at 5k RPM climbing a hill. It was my first car and while it led a hard life I did keep up on oil changes and other maintenance. Using cheap oil and filters.
smile.gif

Only got rid of it because the body was awful and we started doing emissions inspections. Being a poor college student most of it except the cats was jettisoned as it broke.

Originally Posted By: tig1

10K is standard now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back