Kwik lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of buying one of these ramp/lifts for my personal use in my garage. I have 4 vehicles that I service and do minor repairs on. (50 ford, 65 mustang 95 ranger, and 2014 fusion.) I have considered both 2 and 4 post lifts, but due to space restrictions, not to mention price and installation, I think I want to stay with a ramp type set up. Does anyone here have any experience with the kwik lift brand? I could make my own ramps for the front wheels, but I want to lift the whole car, and if I put the front end up at least 15 inches up. the rear is to low to get my floor jack under the bumper and pump the handle. I don't suppose anyone has a used kwik lift for sale???

I've had one for about 15 or 20 years now. It's one of the best investments I've made for the shop. I have the 7,500 pound version, and I've had everything from pickups to cars to tractors on it.

Most vehicles I can change the oil with the lift flat on the ground-the extra few inches allow me to get under far enough. It also lays flat enough so that I keep the pickup or tractor parked on it-I don't waste a bay of the shop just for the lift.

I just bought an ez car lift, but this was the other unit I was considering. I decided against it because I found it too limiting, the fact that the car rolls up on it sure is secure, but it severely impedes wheels off work and suspension type jobs. Yes, they offer a kit to allow you to lift the car further to remove wheels and whatnot, but by the time you buy and do that, all you did was add a few inches/feet in height and still need to get the car up and on stands.

It makes sense for some, and surely is secure and well made. But I'd consider a type that allows wheel removal and access.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I just bought an ez car lift,

Is that one of those with only a 4,400# capacity that you "power" with a drill? A couple of minutes of research found that there are some issues and concerns with it. With such a limited weight capacity, it wouldn't be able to lift most pickup trucks or SUVs. Even many minivans have a curb weight close to or exceeding the weight limit of the EZ Lift-a 2016 Honda Odyssey starts around 4,300 and tops out around 4,600. For safety purposes, I much prefer to have a greater safety margin when I'm working under a vehicle.

I'd have thought that someone with your intellectual superiority and ability to use the Internet machine would have been able to do a few subsequent "minutes of research" to check your facts. Couple that to the use of some simple reasoning skills and you might have gotten somewhere.

The unit I bought is rated at 2600 lbs each, first of all.

D8AECBED-96AD-4444-AA61-8A81F7DE4971_zps4axndan4.jpg

Two will give a capacity over 5000 lbs. The ability to lift a vehicle with a frame is of no concern to me as then there IS plenty of length to use jacks and jack stands and support it completely. So it's moot.

And of course, you fail to address the major item, the ability to do suspension work with the wheels off. Let's do a "couple of minutes of research" and verify the hassle of doing that with a kwik lift. So you have a glorified set of ramps that go a little higher. Plus the need to still hassle with a hydraulic jack. If all I'm doing is oil or other simple under the car work, I'll take the simplicity of ramps any day. If I need wheels off, the kwik lift just doesn't deliver in a useful way.

Seriously?!?

Kwiklift_brakes_266-233.jpg

But did I disparage your equipment like that? No. I did shop that amongst others. And found it limiting, and bulky.

The two known failures of the ez car lift were design issues coupled with user error. They are well defined and the owner will discuss them and the mitigations. The one other thing that will pop up with a"couple minutes of research" is someone complaining about asking for discounts. Boo.

Why not help guide the OP based upon real research and decision processes, instead of chest thumping over your system by disparaging others'?

So yet again in your futile attempts to show your superiority, you fail. Why a 70+ year old who has supposedly "made it" and whose every action is so superior to others has to act this way is beyond me. I'm half your age or younger. Amazing that I have to say these things.

Well I have been kinda reconsidering, as I would like to have it easier to remove wheels etc. so have been seriously considering the Bendpak Ranger 5000 lb model. Anybody have input on these. They look flimsy, but bendpak is a really good co. and I figure I could always throw a couple jack stands under for extra safety.

The ranger is what got me started on reconsidering and pulling the trigger on the ez.

I've been wanting some lift for years... Saw the ranger a number of weeks ago, price seemed good, but then started reading more.

First, I'd only look at the 5000xl.

Second, when I contacted, they weren't offering sales or coupons.

Third it's made in China.

Fourth, the hydraulic couplings are prone to leaking and that is detailed all over the net.

Fifth, while the system is small and light, now you need to carry a 35lb hydraulic unit. I'll take my 9.5A drill which is the most portable.

The Chinese thing was what stopped me on the 5000xl more than anything else.

That is probably why it is sooo much cheaper than the EZ. I thought that Bend pac was american stuff. Now I am confused again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back