Daytona 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plate racing, roll the dice to see who wins. I used to enjoy it, but its become like watching grass grow while waiting to see if a bomb goes off or not. End it already and put 4 more road courses on the schedule.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
End it already and put 4 more road courses on the schedule.

Never ever happen. You can't see the track from your seat. Besides, Daytona and Talladega are the marquee tracks. NASCAR is oval.

Your overall assessment of the "racing" is correct.

I don't mind the plate racing, it comes with the territory. So many people demand NASCAR change the way they do things, but they aren't fans that watch every week. I became a bigger fan once I just accepted the series for what it was and didn't complain about how bad it was and how they need to change everything.

Personally I would love for them to add COTA, Road Atlanta, Road America, and Laguna Seca but the schedule is pretty packed. They are racing for 38 weekends a year so anything would have to go on the front or the back of the schedule.

Remember most of the tracks they run on are either owned by Speedway Motorsports INC or International Speedway Corporation so they have the ultimate rights to pick what tracks the series goes to on their specified weekends.

After all the years of father Bill running Fords,I still find it had to believe his son is in a Chevrolet.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
After all the years of father Bill running Fords,I still find it had to believe his son is in a Chevrolet.

He ran a Dodge at Evernham Motorsports and Chevrolet at MB2 Motorsports and Michael Waltrip Racing.

It was Ford's fault for not snatching Chase when he was younger. Besides unless you drive for Penske, Ford is not that great lately. Roush has fallen off massively. Even the Wood Brothers stopped being a partner with Roush and aligned with Penske and it shows.

I wonder if his dad mentioned over dinner last night that his pole speed was over 212 mph in 1987 in a Ford? I think I might have....LOL!

Chase Elliots pole speed was 196 mph. Jeff Gordon won the Daytona 500 pole last year at over 201 mph. And Nascar can't figure out why attendance numbers and TV ratings keep dwindling year after year. Get rid of the restrictor plates and then turn them loose! If it turns out to be too dangerous for some, then find another line of work.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Kit car racing at it's finest.

What does that mean? Where do you buy the "kit"?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Well done, father Bill must be proud. I still want Dale Jr to win it.

lol Jr is nothing more than a name, definitely doesn't have the driving talents of his daddy! I pu thim in the same ranks as Danica, good for the publicity of the sport and thats about it!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds

lol Jr is nothing more than a name, definitely doesn't have the driving talents of his daddy! I pu thim in the same ranks as Danica, good for the publicity of the sport and thats about it!

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

If I was a team owner, I would want Dale Jr at a plate race without question. The combination of him and his spotter, TJ Majors, is epic on plate tracks. Maybe on a road course not so much, he has said that is not his strong suit.

Kit car?

You can field a car from already made pieces that make up a complete car, tools and pit setup.

You just have to follow the rules and your car will appear. Nothing is left out and there's nothing to figure out.

The winning teams and drivers are the best at the setup for the track, the weather and a bit of luck. Winning teams are the best at the details. You can't build something better because it's against the rules. It's exciting racing with lots of bumping and pushing but for me it does not draw my interest in the cars themselves.

This is a very different focus than building and fielding the best race car because you're better than the competition at engineering, design and then on to the setup and other details.

I would like to see a series where they have some safety rules, a minimum weight limit, a restricter plate for say 600 horse power and no other rules. Run any chassis, any engine, no electronic aids and track supplied pump gasoline. You'd see some real racing between cars of very different characteristics.

The main reason that speeds are reduced is for the safety of the spectators. Cars flying into the stands is a problem. Safety fencing can only do so much.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I would like to see a series where they have some safety rules, a minimum weight limit, a restricter plate for say 600 horse power and no other rules. Run any chassis, any engine, no electronic aids and track supplied pump gasoline. You'd see some real racing between cars of very different characteristics.

You've just basically described the Continental Tire series and the GT classes of the IMSA Tudor series. And you are correct, because the racing is stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back