2011 Outback, Unknown Oil, 5K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

2_oilreports.aspx-page-001_2_.jpg

Oil was not jchanged.
Belongs to a friend. They forgot to list the mileage when the sample was taken. Its 105,300 miles. It is the EJ 4 cyl engine (not the FB Engine).

As usual a good report. It is semi-syn. I told her she could go another 3K miles as she puts on a lot of easy miles. I suppose I could have figured out the oil, as it has Titanium. Anyone know? She gets it changed at a Goodyear or Firestone dealer..not sure.

Last edited:
I think I'd probably log into the online account and export that without the personal information myself.

Oil seems fine.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Kendall. Conoco Phillips product is my guess.

+1 It's doing well - nice UOA.

looks like it might thin out of grade soon.
no TBN listed.

Subaru's aren't the best vehicle to extend the oil changes in.

6000 seems doable. 8000 might be pushing it.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Why is that?

Just curious, since I had planned on extending from 7.5k to 10k oci on my Outback, since the drive train warranty will be expiring in just a few hundred miles. In fact, having recently been introduced to MicroGreen filters, I was considering even longer, perhaps 15k.

I've seen some great uoa for Subaru engines here, and iirc, some are in the 10k - 12k range. I know that the turbo engines would not be good candidates, but why not on the normally aspirated engines? Is there something particular about the Subaru engine that makes them not a good candidate for extended oci?

Well an example the long timing chains on the fb25.

this is relevant to your 2013 outback not the op's H6 outback.

There has been a tread for overextending oci's just look at chevy reducing many of their oil life monitors now.

There were several reasons that Subaru brought the org. 7500oci on syn for the fb25 down to 6000miles.. but only subaru knows why for sure.

Subaru engines are not as tolerant of dirty/used up oil as many other engine designs. There are reasons almost no one else uses a flat 4 design despite its advantages..

Not saying 10000miles is impossible esp with a good oil like m1 ep and a long work commute thats friendly towards extending.

In the OP's engine thicker is better than thinner in 1980's technology EJ series engines.. and that is almost out of grade thin.. Also no TBN so how can you know if the oil is almost used up?

Blackstone saying a TBN of 1 is ok.... is another story but That's off-topic.

looks like it might thin out of grade soon.
no TBN listed.

As I mentioned in the post this is the EJ engine. The engine on the analysis is wrong.
And the EJ engine is the easiest engine on the planet for oil. Look on this board and on any Subaru forums. I have done 4 UOA'a on two different subaru's of 10K miles.

I anm doing one right now on my 08 that will be 15K miles.

There are reasons almost no one else uses a flat 4 design despite its advantages.. Also no TBN so how can you know if the oil is almost used up?

The reason is cost and it allows Subaru to get a symmetrical drive train.

Find me a couple of UOA's where TBN is unacceptable. I learned a long time ago not to waste my $$$ on TBN. Apparently Blackstone said it could be extended.

I will post my 15K analysis in a few months...with no TBN

Thanks for the Kendall/Conoco information!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back