Cold morning; AT feel like it is hammering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning might have been about -8F; not unprecedented for my area, but unusual. My friend started her 2002 tundra 4wd and when she put it in gear (AT) she said the noise was like someone was hammering underneath the truck. I suspect the engine was still on fast idle.

AT has had annual or biannual D+F with maxlife; The dealer indicated the screen was changed @ 120K, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any idea of what that might have been? Lack of lubrication somewhere, some AT valve stuck?

Truck now has 200K; she put the AT into N and let it idle for 10 minutes before putting it back into Drive. I don't think the issue reoccurred

I'd look for something loose down there first. I went through something similar with my Jeep. Sounds like either engine or trans took a dump. Turned out it was an exhaust hanger that is bolted to the trans had come a little loose and was making a banging noise on the trans.

On the initial start up how long did she let it run before putting it in drive? I never encountered anything like that, but I don't shift an A/T into drive until the tach drops down to 1000 rpms. That was about a minute give or take this morning at 2F. What I did notice was the torque converter wasn't too eager to lock up, which is normal.

Not sure how long before she put it in drive; another sub zero night; I suspect she will doing a 5 minute warm up after this incident on very cold evenings. I somewhat mentioned even tho it is a well designed and maintained vehicle, 14 years is 14 years and it pays with cars, as with people, to take it easy in the later years.

Quote:

U sure it wasnt just vibration or engine noise?

Not sure; i was getting it thru her. She assured me it was one of the worse vehicle noises she had ever heard.

Last edited:
It was probably idling real high due to cold and the high rpm [censored] made a weak trans/engine mount go now it's banging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back