Am I killing my cummins 5.9l?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an AEM dry flow filter a few years ago for my 04 dodge ram cummins. It's one of the washable type that you dry and reinstall. It doesn't use the spray on oil. How are these filters? Am I better ff with paper? I'm interested in keeping my engine clean as this is my long term vehicle. Not as worried about performance as I am long term engine wear.

Thanks

Last edited:
Most high flow filters will let small dust particles which will dust the turbo and cylinder walls, it will eat the vanes on the turbo and polish the cylinder walls. I would run an oe filter to protect the engine.
I work at a dealership and have seen warranties on engines denied by using gauze filters, dry or oiled.

The stock paper filters do an excellent job. I've used Fleetguard and Mopar on a couple Cummins since 1994.

+1 on the DryFlow, great filter. If you don't have a restriction gauge you can add one and then you will know when to clean the filter.

ROD

Thanks for the replies. I think I should have clarified. This filter is a direct drop in replacement in the stock air box. It is not the cone type you find in an open engine compartment.

You can see the filters performance by looking at your throttle body.

Last edited:
I had trouble with the stock size filter on the '06 Ram in my sig-the airbox on my '06 was actually SMALLER than the one on my '02 was-the Purolator air filter actually restricted airflow enough to cause black smoke on full throttle acceleration, pull in the restriction gauge, and even start to distort the filter. I now use an S&B oiled filter, my UOAs have shown no elevated Si numbers. Pretty sure there's no throttle body on a Cummins, but you can check for fine dust inside your intake tube after the air filter. There's a big difference between a cotton dryflow & a K&N rock catcher cone (which I wouldn't recommend running).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I had trouble with the stock size filter on the '06 Ram in my sig-the airbox on my '06 was actually SMALLER than the one on my '02 was-the Purolator air filter actually restricted airflow enough to cause black smoke on full throttle acceleration, pull in the restriction gauge, and even start to distort the filter. I now use an S&B oiled filter, my UOAs have shown no elevated Si numbers. Pretty sure there's no throttle body on a Cummins, but you can check for fine dust inside your intake tube after the air filter. There's a big difference between a cotton dryflow & a K&N rock catcher cone (which I wouldn't recommend running).

Stock filters on my Rams both pulled the filter gauges down by a bit. That's pretty bad for a brand new OEM filter.

AEM Dryflow "drop-in-cone" filters have done well by both trucks. It's nice because it has the area of a cone filter, but goes right into the stock box. The stock box is not without its issues. The inlet is way too small. I punched a 4" hole in the bottom and attached a PVC elbow to allow even more air into the box.

AEM_AE_07087__96095.1446395688.1280.1280.jpg

I also got rid of the silencers in the intake tubes as well.

Stop worrying. Even after my first wash (at 57k miles in dusty conditions), I have always beat the universal averages for silicon per UOA.

Inside of the intake tract is squeaky clean.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: totegoat
You can see the filters performance by looking at your throttle body.

Have any pictures of throttle bodies on a Cummins 5.9?

Maybe a clean air intake at the turbo would have been correct.........

I have switched to the aFe filter in a Tacoma since the foam pen filter replacement type or foam. More restriction flow getting into the engine.

I tried a K&N, but the oil in them got to the MAF sensor with a few short trips and I have had it in the same box I got it in for years now. I got the MAF aerosol cleaner spray and it worked. Then later I change the MAF completely.

Paper filters might be best for the diesel, but I am sure the aFe filters they may offer will work. They have three applications.
Easy to clean and did help on throttle respond and highway mileage.
My best was 19.5mpg on the interstate. Not bad for a truck of this age and the 4.11 gears.

It's a great filter that should last you! I would clean in the summer evening and let dry over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back