What to store my oil in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 125 qts of GC laying around. How do you guys store your oil? Is there a container say at Wallyworld I can buy to put them in? I am looking for portability. Thanks

maybe you can buy one of those 5 gallon pails that oil distributors use. pour 20 qts of GC at a time in. not sure how to get one though?

Keep them in their bottles and just get boxes at the grocery/liquor store of suitable size to put them in. Much less chance of contamination.

Less contaimination is right, as I have read that it's not a good idea to shake the bottle before pouring it in because it's not uncommon to find a small amount of sediment in the bottom. It was noted that the contaiminents most likely came from handling and shipment of the empty containers as they are left open, and prior to their being filled, compressed air is used to "clean" them (static charge anyone). A few here have mentioned not going for every last drop out of the containers.

Boxes are a good idea - smaller ones since you're dealing with a liquid, things tend to get heavy quickly. I'm not sure how "portible" you need. At the hardware store you might find a wheel-about tote box, or you could resort to the ol shelving unit for all your care care needs. Stack everything nice and neat.

125 Qts! Heck you could mask a wall with all those bottles! Get'n ready for an elf's party are we, wanting to make him/her/they feel right at home?!?! What are you planing on serving the guests???

I understand.

Portability? I'd guess he is figuring if the wife throws him out of the house over his oil obsession, he wants to be able to quickly grab the oil to take with him. The thought of an angry wife pouring your stash, bottle by bottle, down the drain is frightening.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Curious Kid:
[

125 Qts! Heck you could mask a wall with all those bottles! Get'n ready for an elf's party are we, wanting to make him/her/they feel right at home?!?! What are you planing on serving the guests???

I understand. [/QB]

===========
125 bottles of oil on the wall, 125 bottles of oil,
If one of those bottles should happen to fall, 124 bottles of oil on the wall......
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Portability? I'd guess he is figuring if the wife throws him out of the house over his oil obsession, he wants to be able to quickly grab the oil to take with him. The thought of an angry wife pouring your stash, bottle by bottle, down the drain is frightening.
shocked.gif

no, no, I just don't want to store the oil in the garage. I was thinking of storing it inside the house, maybe in a closet, if I can find the right type of containers. I was considering the plastic containers they sell at walmart or target, but maybe discarded oil boxes would be easiest.

quote:

Originally posted by crheinish:
no, no, I just don't want to store the oil in the garage. I was thinking of storing it inside the house, maybe in a closet, if I can find the right type of containers. I was considering the plastic containers they sell at walmart or target, but maybe discarded oil boxes would be easiest.

Sorry, joke on the wife thing, but you are wise to get it out of the garage. Letting the oil sit in the garage in summer heat or winter cold is not good for shelf life. Properly stored, I am told, most oil has an indefinite shelf life. I keep mine on shelves in the cellar where it ranges from 40 to 70 F. Nice thing about the cellar is wife doesn't use it, so I have the oil on full display.

quote:

I keep mine on shelves in the cellar where it ranges from 40 to 70 F.

Every once and a while he brings out a quart of vintage 1984 Vavoline "Special Reserve" 10w-40
grin.gif

a little
offtopic.gif
but I keep my appromiately 140 bottles organized on a plastic cage shelf. If you want to put the bottles in the closet. the boxes the oil come in are the best. you can stack the boxes of oil on top of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back