Battery brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen a thread on this recently and a quick search didn't bring anything useful either. What are the go-to brands for batteries these days? In the past I've always used Sears Diehards with good effect but they aren't cheap. I know a lot of people like using the Advance Auto coupon codes, but they only offer one battery for my application and its "Autocraft Gold." Any good? ANy other options for cost-savings on quality batteries?

There are only a few battery manufactures. In fact, a lot of batteries are the exact same with a different name on it. They even go as far as brand A having a higher amp rating and brand B having a lower amp rating even though both batteries are the same, just sold at different retailers. Kinda like mattresses. If you like the Sears Diehard, you'd like the Wal-Mart Evermaxx.

It's getting hard to generalize as the actual manufacturer of branded batteries seems to change a lot, and sometimes they're using two or more manufacturers depending on the specific size/line/etc.

IMO, the best judge of battery quality is the "full replacement warranty" length. Longer is better.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I haven't seen a thread on this recently and a quick search didn't bring anything useful either. What are the go-to brands for batteries these days? In the past I've always used Sears Diehards with good effect but they aren't cheap. I know a lot of people like using the Advance Auto coupon codes, but they only offer one battery for my application and its "Autocraft Gold." Any good? ANy other options for cost-savings on quality batteries?

I would suggest Walmart MAXX. Its generally highly rated by Consumer Reports, made by JCI last time I looked and a reasonable price. Two year free replacement warranty.

You need to consider price and availability of replacement when buying a battery. Walmart has stores open all over and into the evenings and Sundays.

As always, get a fresh date code battery.

If you can fit a larger group size, that may be a good idea, but try and get equivalent (but not lower) CCA to the battery that the car came with. In that area, larger CCAs is not better.

Last edited:
Get a $48 Walmart battery. Made by Johnson Controls, so even if it were to last half as long, you'd still be way ahead over buying an Auto Zone or O'Reilly's battery.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Get a $48 Walmart battery. Made by Johnson Controls, so even if it were to last half as long, you'd still be way ahead over buying an Auto Zone or O'Reilly's battery.

+1. Best deal out there. I bought one for my beater truck a few months ago.

Get a $48 Walmart battery
. Made by Johnson Controls, so even if it were to last half as long, you'd still be way ahead over buying an Auto Zone or O'Reilly's battery.

Always interested in learning something new and saving a buck. This $48 battery, is it just for a certain size/group, or across the line. Any replacement warranty?

I'm currently running 2 AAP Autocrafts, one a Silver group 35 and one a Gold group 24. They both have the older extended to 6 and 7 year proration after full replacement period. That has now changed to 2 and 3 years full replacement respectively. I bought both using a $50 off code, and iirc the Silver might have had a $25 rebate credit card promo at the time. They both are getting the job done nicely, I do regularly put them on a charger/maintainer. If was buying at AAP now, likely stick to the Gold 3 year replacement Autocraft. And an AAP $40 off $100/110 code can be easily found.

Prices have gone up significantly since I last purchased two-three years ago.

+1 on the $48 Walmart battery.

A lot of commodity prices are coming down due to less demand from China for raw materials.

I wonder if that will lower the price of batteries if lead comes down. (Unsure about lead specifically, its basically commodities in general).

Quote:

As always, get a fresh date code battery.

Batteries @ Wally World now have a letter code for the month; a quick call to the support line and they will tell you to what month the letter corresponds. The support line actually provided more info than the flip-chart did @ the store.

As much as the support line insisted there should be no batteries on the shelf > 1 year old, I assured her there were plenty.

Last edited:
The group sizes available on the Wal-Mart $48 battery (from memory):

24F
26R

I'll be buying a 65 later this week, for a 1990 Mercury Cougar.

Mine started a 4.9 liter F150 after an overnight -12'F cold soak, and a week of sitting around. Decent battery.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A lot of commodity prices are coming down due to less demand from China for raw materials.

I wonder if that will lower the price of batteries if lead comes down. (Unsure about lead specifically, its basically commodities in general).

This is just my OPINION, but since lead is a commodity, I'd be willing to bet that they contract the lead from their suppliers so they aren't caught up in a rapid rise in supply costs. Which can also bite them in the behind if the cost of lead would really go down. In reality though, I have no idea if they contract or not.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

24F
26R

I wonder if the group 78 has side vents to work with an OEM under-the-rear-seat interior mounting.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

24F
26R

I wonder if the group 78 has side vents to work with an OEM under-the-rear-seat interior mounting.

Some do, some don't

The reason I used a Deka in my Saturn was because the vents matched the OEM ACDelco vents.

It took a group 75 battery.

If they list one in the right size: Walmart's $48 ValuePower line.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's getting hard to generalize as the actual manufacturer of branded batteries seems to change a lot, and sometimes they're using two or more manufacturers depending on the specific size/line/etc.

IMO, the best judge of battery quality is the "full replacement warranty" length. Longer is better.

Very true.

It goes beyond that.

I've been shopping on/off for about a year (the battery in question has held on), and in that time frame, even the same application within a brand has changed suppliers, from East Penn to JCI. The cellphone pictures I snapped of the store shelf with my phone a year ago don't match what is on the shelf today.

Nor do the pictures/specs on some websites, which aren't up to date either.

Barring a complete exclusivity supply contract, the brands do switch suppliers more often than one might think.

Even a brand like Interstate, which is often known as one of JCI's best customers, clearly gets some models (like their AGMs) from the likes of EP and Enersys.

It's hard to say with certainly who makes a particular battery without seeing what's being sold at the time on the shelf.

In terms of value, the best seem to come from the warehouse clubs like Costco and Sams, then retail at Walmart, or AAP/Carquest with code discounts.

Prorata warranties are also being reduced, if not eliminated entirely.

I'm now trying to decide between a Costco-only Interstate, an Autocraft Gold, or a Walmart Everstart Maxx. They're all within a $20 range, JCI-made, with similar replacement warranties, but convenience will be the deciding factor.

The Costco battery straddles the two in price, but has a 6-mo longer (42 mo) warranty, and is most convenient, so it will probably get the nod.

I wouldn't mind trying an EP battery, but their closest dealers are at least 30 min away, it will cost more, and unlike the Interstate distributor, the EP distributor gave me a kind of half-a**ed response as to whether they'd sell direct at retail.

Each of the last two JCIs I've had have gone seven years plus, so I'm comfortable with their quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back