Any of 0w40 oils superior to compitition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my wife a new ride that requires 0w40 synthetic. They recommended M1 but there are many top quality oils available. Whats the preference here? Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: LILGUY
I just bought my wife a new ride that requires 0w40 synthetic.

It REQUIRES 0w-40 as opposed to calling for a particular mfg spec? What year/make/model?

Lots of BITOG love for Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol Edge "Belgian" 0W-40. Great performance, especially for the price.

Originally Posted By: LILGUY
I just bought my wife a new ride that requires 0w40 synthetic. They recommended M1 but there are many top quality oils available. Whats the preference here? Thanks all.

Luckily for you, M1 0w40 is a top-quality oil that's readily available!

Does the owner's manual call for any specific requirements? Many manufacturers have their own specifications (i.e. BMW LL-01, MB 229.51, VW 502, etc)

Any of the approved 0w-40's will perform basically identically. Use the one you can get the cheapest and easiest, which will probably be M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40.

For me, jugs of M1 are easier to find than Castrol. I could care less about brands as long as it meets the correct specs for my Euros.

Right now, I have a bunch of 5w40 Pennzoil Ultra Euro that I bought for $2 a quart.

I'm indecisive when it comes to oil. My wife and I own German cars that call for the same oil.
I think Castrol is better than Mobil1 in terms of intake valve deposits in direct injection engines. Some Castrol oils such as the 0W40, use a magnesium biased detergency add pack which is supposedly better in reducing intake valve deposits as some Castrol oils do very, very good in the TEOST tests.

Castrol 0W-40 is good stuff.

M1 was in the same category but just dropped BMW LL-01 certification on the bottle.

So it is a non-starter for me now.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

M1 was in the same category but just dropped BMW LL-01 certification on the bottle.

Drop BMW LL-01????
What is then on bottle? BMW LL-04? Is that new ESP you talking about?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Drop BMW LL-01????

BMW did not renew the license. There's a thread here somewhere about. I looked today at jugs and bottles of M1 0w40 at Walmart, no BMW cert on it. BMW not listed on the front either.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Drop BMW LL-01????

BMW did not renew the license. There's a thread here somewhere about. I looked today at jugs and bottles of M1 0w40 at Walmart, no BMW cert on it. BMW not listed on the front either.

That is strange. Probably there is something with M1 and VANOS on BMW's.
However, on their web site it still says LL-01.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Drop BMW LL-01????

That is strange. Probably there is something with M1 and VANOS on BMW's.
However, on their web site it still says LL-01.

Doubt it has anything to do with that. Mobil has the new ESP 0w-40 with LL-04 on it, they are probably re-shuffling the product line based on that factoid.

Quote:
Doubt it has anything to do with that. Mobil has the new ESP 0w-40 with LL-04 on it, they are probably re-shuffling the product line based on that factoid.

Yeah, I think same. I would like to see ESP in stores soon, since I could use that one i both of my cars.

Quote:

Yeah, I think same. I would like to see ESP in stores soon, since I could use that one i both of my cars.

Yeah, it looks like a neat product and has better cold temp performance to boot! They still don't have an updated PDS for the "regular" 0w-40, only the ESP one now shows in the US PDS search. I check it every once in a while.

Weird that BMW did not renew the license. I wonder if it's related to the recent shift to Pennzoil/Shell from Castrol?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Weird that BMW did not renew the license. I wonder if it's related to the recent shift to Pennzoil/Shell from Castrol?

I would wager that XOM didn't pursue the renewal due to the upcoming formulation change and the product placement shuffle. It may just have been a timing issue and we will likely see it coming back on the new product, just like we are seeing LL-04 on the new ESP version.

There is still no PDS for non-ESP M1 0w-40 on the Mobil site via the search function for the US market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back