Got a great deal on XG3600 at AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just scored one at AAP for $5.60. Last one on their shelf with no price tag and snagged it up when he told me $5.60 w/tax.

I know, I know....

I'm just happy cause I normally miss filter deals.

image_zps1mkfmat9.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hessam
what is your application for this? the matrix in your sig?

Yes, I always wanted to try an oversized filter and they didn't have the XG4386 I normally use, so I said what heck.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Why was it priced so low?

I don't know actually. I asked the price on the filter cause it didn't have it listed on the shelf and he said $5.60. I was shocked and asked if he looked up the extra guard price, he said no... My only thought is that they are not going to be carrying them anymore, but he didn't know that either.

It's not dented and doesn't rattle or anything.

It wasn't even the last Ultra on the shelf either. Not sure on the price of the 10-15 other sizes that were left.

Last edited:
Looks like their receipt printer is from the 80s. Good price on the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Why was it priced so low?
AAP is clearing out FRAM Ultras to make room for Purolator's new line. AAP is a Purolator shop. Surprised there are any FRAM left.

2015_PSD: I noticed the same thing with the Wal Mart near me. ALL Purolator filters were "sale price" of $2.50. I'll pass on that garbage

I was thinking about running one of these on my LX450, but noticed that on the wix site all the specs are the same for both filters, except the 51516 (XG3600 equivalent) is noted at being a full-flow filter, while the 51348 (XG3614 equivalent) does not say full flow (type is blank on the 51348)

The there any difference between these two filters, aside from size?

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=76178

versus:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=34462

Those are both full flow filters. I see not difference except for the length.

Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz
Yes, I always wanted to try an oversized filter and they didn't have the XG4386 I normally use, so I said what heck.

Will the mating surface on the engine block fit the 3600 ?

The gasket size is much bigger on the 3600

I was thinking about running one of these on my LX450...

I havent used any of the WIX filters on my LX450... but I can confirm the 3600 size fits perfectly within the engine compartment if you're wanting to upsize.

So Wix not listing the 51348 as a full flow filter, but listing the 51516 as a full flow filter is just an oversight on their part? I understand that the 51348 is not a by pass filter, but was wondering if there might be a category of filter between a full flow filter, and a by pass filter, whereby some of the clean oil is returned to the oil sump and some of it gets routed to lubricate the engine / bearings.

So Wix not listing the 51348 as a full flow filter, but listing the 51516 as a full flow filter is just an oversight on their part? I understand that the 51348 is not a by pass filter, but was wondering if there might be a category of filter between a full flow filter, and a by pass filter, whereby some of the clean oil is returned to the oil sump and some of it gets routed to lubricate the engine / bearings.

I think they just left the field blank on the 51348 info. If all oil that goes into the filter also comes out of the filter, then it's a "full flow" filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I think they just left the field blank on the 51348 info. If all oil that goes into the filter also comes out of the filter, then it's a "full flow" filter.

it make sense that all the oil that goes into the filter also comes out of the filter, otherwise, you would have a filter in perpetual bypass, or a busted filter canister from too much pressure... but is full flow generally defined as all oil lubricating the engine coming directly from the filter (clean) side?
could you have an engine set-up where the oil lubricating the engine is a combination of the all the clean oil flowing from the filter, being supplemented by oil from the sump?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

it make sense that all the oil that goes into the filter also comes out of the filter, otherwise, you would have a filter in perpetual bypass, or a busted filter canister from too much pressure... but is full flow generally defined as all oil lubricating the engine coming directly from the filter (clean) side?
could you have an engine set-up where the oil lubricating the engine is a combination of the all the clean oil flowing from the filter, being supplemented by oil from the sump?

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29396/oil-filter-anatomy

Under "Oil Filter Types":
"Oil filters can also be categorized by the oil flow design. As its name implies, a full-flow filter will draw all of the oil through the filter media. On the other hand, a bypass filter only requires a fraction of the oil flow for sufficient flow rates within the system."

Also:
Full Flow Oil Filter
Engineering Dictionary - Dictionary of Automotive Terms

"An oil filter that filters all of the oil passing through the engine before it reaches the bearings."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back