Does anyone here know anything about furnaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of those electronic systems are for the birds but most of the time its the installer. I have steam heat and needed a new unit and i went with a Utica gas unit and it has been good so far.. I found that everyone has a different opinion on Boilers and heating systems in general just like motor oil but i know for a fact that some of them get a bad rap because most of the time the installer is at fault.. Get someone that really knows the unit sometimes the furnace company will send someone out but i think thats only if its under warranty but call them anyway. I have the gas company worry free contract on mine just in case because sometimes the parts are very expensive so i figure let them deal with it.

Yeah Turtle bypass all the "extraneous stuff" there are absolutely no reason these "stupid" companies should put in all this safety equipment just so there are no fires or explosions or other issues because it takes the fun out of life what were they thinking. You may be a nice person but im glad you don't live in my neighborhood. '

If it were mine it would go.

Between federal, state, and gas company energy star incentives not only would you save on a replacement unit but too the energy star equipment would result in lower energy costs.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
A real engineer would bypass all that extraneous stuff.

Right, bypass the flame sensor so the unit will think there is a flame, even if there isn't, and it will keep the gas flowing until it finds an ignition source. Your heating problem is now solved!

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If your furnace is a rebranded York, it's no wonder. Many of their units have been made overseas for years. My most trouble prone HVAC system ever was a York. No more York for me--I switched to Trane. No problems since on two new Trane systems.

Remember that some contractors recommend certain products when they get great deals on the units because the units have been discontinued or because the units just plain stink and aren't selling well. Like others have said, if you don't want to replace it, a local service contract may be your best bet.

Same here. XL95 Trane furnace for 9 years and runs like a top. Winter is 6 months/year here.

To paraphrase Consumer Reports...

Trane = Toyota reliability.

Check out consumer reports on the most reliable furnaces.

Originally Posted By: grampi
The main board was replaced last winter due the open limit switch errors, which are back again. When I replace the sensor, I install it the same way the original one was installed, and they are OEM.

Hmmm. I'd do some checking and see if there isn't a revised placement. That caught us on one of the industrial things I mentioned. Once there was a gas flow issue to, as per Jetronic's suggestion. That pretty much covers the issues I came across. Perhaps it's just a problematic unit or brand as Pop suggested - hopefully not! There's nothing quite like shelling out a bunch of money on a product and then finding it doesn't work worth a hoot.

Doog is probably right, try a different furnace guy first.
wink.gif

Here is my guess. Your installer probably spotted a deal on Coleman furnace's at his supplier warehouse. That is a rebranded York furnace. 80 percent efficiency with single speed blower. Pretty simple furnace.

If you want to replace it, you can buy a furnace online of a different brand in similar BTU's for $600-$700 brand new. Find a contractor who will work with you, and one who will let you bring your own furnace (may be hard to find).

A buddy of mine is a HVAC guy, he replaced my 30 year old unit in NY with a RUUD 80% Efficiency furnace for about $900 including new romex, new gas plumbing, and he tied it into existing dust work, new exhaust plumbing also.

He is not an authorized RUUD dealer, so no warranty. He bought it as a closeout item at the HVAC warehouse.

The only times I had problems with the RUUD throwing error codes was for good reason. There was a dead bird blocking the exhaust on the furnace, so it would not fire. Glad it didn't and I didn't have CO backing up into my house.

Defeating the safety features on a furnace is not something I would do.

A real engineer would bypass all that extraneous stuff. That what I did on my hot tub to get it really steaming hot.

Trollvette strikes again. Its not worth blowing up your house.

I'd call the org. guy again see if he will do something for you... like parts only pricing on a new furnace.

If not get some quotes with model numbers not
"generic 80% eff" type quotes...

then research online

I have a train 95% eff with power vent and a carrier A/C both have had 0 issues in 5 years.

Sounds like you need a new pair of eyes on your system + its installation. Someone willing to tell you what's wrong with it and why. Someone willing to diagnose before they prescribe (i.e. "You need a New system") and give it to you straight. A diagnostician rather than a board replacer.

If you've repeatedly cleaned the "wire" (sounds like a thermocouple), and replaced it, and then cleaned that one, sounds like the problem is incomplete combustion? Gas regulation? What would prevent gas from burning clean?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

The main board was replaced last winter due the open limit switch errors, which are back again. When I replace the sensor, I install it the same way the original one was installed, and they are OEM.

In your OP you say you've had problems every winter since you got it. If you've had trouble every winter since it was new hopefully you've documented the service calls and can show a pattern? In the quote above you say you replaced the sensor. The problem could be if you've been doing some of the troubleshooting and replacing parts yourself. Quick seach looks like Coleman has a 10 year parts warranty? Your highly recommended HVAC guy should be going to bat for you, he recommended this unit. If he can't figure it out he's not as good as you thought.

This guy has been called every time I've had problems with the unit and he owns the business. He's also never tried to deny any of the problems I've had. He sold me this unit at his cost because the furnace portion had to be replaced when we upgraded our A/C. He always comes when I call him, day, night, weekend, whenever, so I'm not worried about him taking care of me.

The only thing I've ever changed in this unit is the flame sensor...and that's because its got one screw, and one connector, and replacing it can't be screwed up. Anything else that's been done has been done by the HVAC guy. If he gives me a reason to think he can't do the job, I'll find someone else...

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Seems like having fire is against his furnace's theory of operation. No much chance it's gonna heat up anything. Having a wood stove might be a good backup plan.,,,

If I wasn't away from home 2 weeks at a time, I'd love to have a wood burner...I don't think my wife would want to keep one going though...

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If your furnace is a rebranded York, it's no wonder. Many of their units have been made overseas for years. My most trouble prone HVAC system ever was a York. No more York for me--I switched to Trane. No problems since on two new Trane systems.

Remember that some contractors recommend certain products when they get great deals on the units because the units have been discontinued or because the units just plain stink and aren't selling well. Like others have said, if you don't want to replace it, a local service contract may be your best bet.

This is my worse case scenario...having to replace the entire furnace, but if I have to, I will...

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
If it were mine it would go.

Between federal, state, and gas company energy star incentives not only would you save on a replacement unit but too the energy star equipment would result in lower energy costs.

Have systems improved that much since 2010?

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Here is my guess. Your installer probably spotted a deal on Coleman furnace's at his supplier warehouse. That is a rebranded York furnace. 80 percent efficiency with single speed blower. Pretty simple furnace.

If you want to replace it, you can buy a furnace online of a different brand in similar BTU's for $600-$700 brand new. Find a contractor who will work with you, and one who will let you bring your own furnace (may be hard to find).

A buddy of mine is a HVAC guy, he replaced my 30 year old unit in NY with a RUUD 80% Efficiency furnace for about $900 including new romex, new gas plumbing, and he tied it into existing dust work, new exhaust plumbing also.

He is not an authorized RUUD dealer, so no warranty. He bought it as a closeout item at the HVAC warehouse.

The only times I had problems with the RUUD throwing error codes was for good reason. There was a dead bird blocking the exhaust on the furnace, so it would not fire. Glad it didn't and I didn't have CO backing up into my house.

Defeating the safety features on a furnace is not something I would do.

Unless I decided to get my A/C replaced right at the same time my HVAC guy stumbled across a deal on this particular brand/model furnace, then I think he just cut me a deal because he didn't know ahead of time that my new A/C wasn't compatible with my old furnace...not saying it's not possible, just not probable...

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Sounds like you need a new pair of eyes on your system + its installation. Someone willing to tell you what's wrong with it and why. Someone willing to diagnose before they prescribe (i.e. "You need a New system") and give it to you straight. A diagnostician rather than a board replacer.

If you've repeatedly cleaned the "wire" (sounds like a thermocouple), and replaced it, and then cleaned that one, sounds like the problem is incomplete combustion? Gas regulation? What would prevent gas from burning clean?

My HVAC guy seems to think it's because the secondary fan (not the one that pulls in air for the heat) is drawing in air from the laundry room (unfiltered) and is pulling in a lot of lint, which he says will carbon up the flame sensor...he wants to run an intake out the roof and thinks that will cure the problem...

He'll probably get electrocuted in his hot tub...

Before or after you freeze solid?

Definitely before...

Originally Posted By: yeti
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Coleman (at least that model) is a re-branded York. If you can't find an HVAC person who knows them well enough to fix it correctly, then if I were in your shoes I'd simply replace it with a reliable unit. Around here, we have a service company that inspects the furnace each fall and, if it fails for any reason during the winter, they pay for the repair. If you have a company in your area that offers something similar you might also consider that route.

A real engineer would bypass all that extraneous stuff. That what I did on my hot tub to get it really steaming hot.

Good idea! Bypassing the safety features on a furnace is really a fantastic idea, and a stroke of sheer brilliance!

He'll probably get electrocuted in his hot tub...

reading turtle's posts in the last couple of months led me to believe that, at some point, natural selection would come into play. his above post reinforces that opinion.

turtle -- no toasters in the hot tub!
when he dies, mr. brady, and 1 or 2 bitogers, might miss him. I, and our group, will miss him, since he gave us so many laughs. keep up the funny posts.

You're like a yippie little bichon scolding me.

You have to be smart enough to know what you can get away with. I am. You aren't. Most of the people here aren't. But its almost like a "you can't handle the truth" thing.

Do you think the jet you fly on is perfectly 100%? They usually have things bypassed or otherwise temporarily fixed. If you think otherwise, you have some unrealistic OCD view of the world that is very predominate on this site.

Yes i mess with things. I reengineer things. Yes I make some things less safe. That's a judgement call. I also make some things safer. Do you have combustible gas detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your house? I have several in addition to more than a dozen smoke detectors. Are you set up like that?

You don't care, you just wanna yip yip yip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back