2016 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzu

Since my cars are getting up there in age, I saw 4 new Malibus sitting on a dealers lot and decided to check them out. While I think the new Impala looks like a decent car, I don't know why all the fuss in trying to make a smaller version of it and call it the Malibu? Impala sales are....meh, but I think GM has a way of over doing the front fascia on both cars. The new Malibu front end looks odd and does not suit the rest of the car to me. The profile and the rear look ok, but the front looks wrong and takes much away from the car as a whole.
Another thing that made me question the new Malibu was the 1.5 liter engine in the cheaper car is made in Mexico, while the transmission is American. The 2.0 liter model has the engine from USA and transmission from Japan. I think the latter combo would be the way to go but unfortunately it requires premium fuel. Reviews of the 1.5 liter performance has been described as "adequate". In high school, the 1985 Celebrity 4 cylinder Drivers Ed car seemed (power wise) "adequate" too, but with a full car of passengers it felt very labored and slow. Hearing that reminded me of those wonderful days
smile.gif

The interior looks very nice and classy on both models. They had it parked next to a brand new 2015 model and as much heat as that car took for looks/back seat issues, I think it actually looks BETTER than the 2016 model???? The car in general looks much more generic than I thought it would be, and maybe that is what GM wants. The Chrysler 200 looks very similar to the new Malibu and that is getting axed within a couple years or so.
In 2013, GM hyped up the brand new, redesigned, more efficient, quieter DI 2.5liter for the last Malibu only to discontinue it after just 3 years? Ford has been doing the tiny turbo engines for some time, and now GM is copying them. I guess it doesn't matter what you buy today because they are all pretty much the same now except for the emblem. Next GM will copy Ford with "all new" high strength aluminum body on their Silverado/Sierra to reduce weight, increase mpg, etc. etc. If the body panels don't rust away with the salt they pound on the roads around me, I am all in favor of the aluminum route.
My dad retired from GM and we drove Chevys my entire life with the exception of our old Camry, and I still don't know what car interests me from Chevy? I am really thinking about getting an Accord after seeing this Malibu, or finding a 1 owner southern 2011 Malibu with a V6 and no rust. That sounds good too.

Good grief, look at the miles on your fleet. Buy something, just not a Chevy, no reason to settle for less. If you feel you must, maybe try a score a leftover '15 Malibu at a smokin' price?

Chevy's best car is the Cruze. It's a shame they have a good large car (the Impala is pretty nice) and a good small car, but a lackluster midsize. The 2008-2012 Malibu is still the best looking one.

The Fiat 200 is getting axed because the Jeep version of the platform sells so many more units. Acceptance of styling is subjective of course, but I see so much difference in the character lines between the two I can't see how you call the Malibu a little Impala. If you like the '11 better than the '16 your plan is good and you'll save much money buying a 5 yr old car. To me the '11 looks like a Saturn.

Apparently you haven't liked new cars for a while... nearly a million miles on your 3

The new Malibu. Or is it a BMW, maybe a Lexus. Probably 55 to 65K.

Go look at and drive everything in your price range. Research them all and then decide.

A friend of mine is selling his 14 Malibu. It is a very nice looking car with all the cool guy stuff.

If I was buying in the mid size market the 16 Accord Sport would be on the top of the list!

my coworkers power steering pump died in his 2012 malibu with only 55k on it.

buy the camry, its cheap, not direct injection, and will go a bazillion miles.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I love the look of the new Malibu.

But I like the Accord better

I don't like the bumper 'scoops' Honda is putting on many of their cars.

It's unclear what the original OP's point is.

In 2016, there really aren't any "Bad" cars anymore, just degrees of goodness, and personal preferences. It's also global, regardless of where the car (or it's parts) are made, there are even more parts from elsewhere. So, an engine made in the USA undoubtedly has bits from elsewhere. If you make your decision that way you're either very naive or hopelessly uninformed. Likewise, anyone who buys a particular brand b/c of the so called "reliability" factor is also uninformed. Owing to globalization, there's not much of difference in reliability or QC, regardless of what Consumer's Reports, or what your Uncle Harry might say.

We are really living in the Golden Age of the automobile. Engineering, technology, features, safety, quality...it's the best it's ever been. You owe it to yourself to drive everything out there...with an open mind..I always recommend driving the car in the evening when it's dark and the visuals aren't as distracting to the actual driving and comfort experience..to see.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noey

In 2016, there really aren't any "Bad" cars anymore, just degrees of goodness, and personal preferences.

Disagree: Jeep, Fiat.

My 2015 malibu has the base 2.5, 1LT trim. I got mine back in August with some pretty nice incentives. I knew the new body style was coming out and i didn't really care 4 it.

Originally Posted By: Noey
We are really living in the Golden Age of the automobile. Engineering, technology, features, safety, quality...it's the best it's ever been.
And still not even close to what it could be, thanks to .gov and its love affair with Big Oil

I rent cars all the time. This I know, the Malibu does not achieve the real world fuel economy that the Accord does. Not even close. A recent Malibu rental returned 23MPG. The best I've ever seen a Mailbu do is 26, with careful driving.

The Accord will top 30MPG with careful driving and always returns over 27. Put another way, the Accord returns 4 to 5 MPG more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I rent cars all the time. This I know, the Malibu does not achieve the real world fuel economy that the Accord does. Not even close. A recent Malibu rental returned 23MPG. The best I've ever seen a Mailbu do is 26, with careful driving.

The Accord will top 30MPG with careful driving and always returns over 27. Put another way, the Accord returns 4 to 5 MPG more.

No way. My car is built on the same platform as the 08-12 Malibu which had an extra 500lb and I've averaged 25 MPG for years now. OH and mine has a 3.5 pushrod V6 (not 2.5 DI I4) and the ancient GM 4 speed (not the lightweight 6 speed).

That rental either had a problem (not out of the question) or you were driving it in a different setting (mountains? more city?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back