When do you change your air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should the standard be? How well they filter new or every 5,000 miles or some other distance?

I am going to guess most paper air filters are mostly the same. Some may have a better gasket than others. I like Mann for that reason, but I would stick in a Wix or a Fram and not think too much about it.

I like to get on Rock Auto and order some good replacement filters cheap.

Originally Posted By: StorminNorvin
I ordered a couple of Wix 24081 "Air Filter Minders" from Amazon to install on the 2004 Chevy Blazer 4.3L and on a 2003 S-10 4.3L I am ripping a K&N Un-Cold Air Intake system out of and putting the stock system back into.

This video is a promo for the Filter Minder, but it is also educational on air filters in general, is interesting, and pertains to the subject of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHRNtYBgrf4

That Wix unit goes up to 25 inches of water which is high for a gas engine, 15-20 inches is max for most gas engines

so do you guys mostly use paper or cotton gauze air filter?

seems like oem almost using paper, right?

my place here is quite dusty and somekind factory environment? what should i choose? paper or cotton gauze? and how many kilometers should i change if you suggest the paper?

nyumski,

in some of our opinions, foam and cotton gauze filters are for off road applications- like dirt bikes.......the reason may be because those two types can hold more sand and dirt and can even survive taking on water. But nearly, I would guess, automobiles driven on the street-big rigs, cars, pickups, motorcycles- generally use a cellulose/paper type filter element.

Also, generally it seems 30,000 miles is a 'normal' interval for replacement. But you say your environment is harsh. How do you drive? As sport or commute? Maybe you should change the filter between 20,000 and 50,000 kilometers.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
nyumski,

in some of our opinions, foam and cotton gauze filters are for off road applications- like dirt bikes.......the reason may be because those two types can hold more sand and dirt and can even survive taking on water. But nearly, I would guess, automobiles driven on the street-big rigs, cars, pickups, motorcycles- generally use a cellulose/paper type filter element.

Also, generally it seems 30,000 miles is a 'normal' interval for replacement. But you say your environment is harsh. How do you drive? As sport or commute? Maybe you should change the filter between 20,000 and 50,000 kilometers.

i would say i drive as commute since i live in rural, so the road is mostly rural road means quite bumpy and dusty...
so seems like i know what should i choose..
thank you for the advise

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I ordered a couple of Wix 24081 "Air Filter Minders" from Amazon to install on the 2004 Chevy Blazer 4.3L and on a 2003 S-10 4.3L I am ripping a K&N Un-Cold Air Intake system out of and putting the stock system back into.

This video is a promo for the Filter Minder, but it is also educational on air filters in general, is interesting, and pertains to the subject of this thread:

That Wix unit goes up to 25 inches of water which is high for a gas engine, 15-20 inches is max for most gas engines

But the Wix stops at 8", 11", 15" and 22" so you can change the filter when it gets to the limit you choose.

I have over 80k miles on my air filter now and will change it out do to time, not restriction.

ROD

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

The Wix unit measures (in inches) 8, 11, 15, 22, and 25 so I'll see how things are running when it gets close to 22. That will be awhile though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back