Vavoline next gen motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When this stuff first came out I saw kiosk advertising it all over in auto parts stores etc.....now it looks to be taken off the shelves.... Did Valvoline pull the plug on it. I never tried it....but if I had some older cars I may have used it just to see how well it held up. I owned a Triumph Stag which got a fried engine do to Mobil one in 1976....so I leaned a hard lesson in motor oil at young age.

They tried selling the stuff for the same price as virgin motor oil. The people in charge of marketing this product were real idiots. So yes, it's discontinued.

Consumers are idiots, too. Look at what we pay for oil in Canada. The green jugs were $1 or $2 cheaper than the VWB. People probably assumed that meant it was inferior, and it did no better up here. Or, they ignorantly grabbed SuperTech instead, not realizing that up here, that, too, is also re-refined.

Originally Posted By: CKN
They tried selling the stuff for the same price as virgin motor oil. The people in charge of marketing this product were real idiots. So yes, it's discontinued.

The end result was a product equal to VWB, so why would it be cheaper?

I actually did a UOA of it in a modified sub 13 second 1/4 mile 2007 WRX I once owned: Link to Next Gen UOA

I think Valvoline quit making the stuff. Market demand and the lower price of crude oil probably killed it off.
Yes, you get more oil from re-refining used motor oil vs crude, but there are more factors to it.

I had read in some car mag that it was very energy inefficient in making the stuff,...the more I read about it makes me think it was a doomed from the start product. Sometime in the future it may be a nessidity but not today.

Wish they would bring out more, I picked up TONS of it from O'Reilly & other sources, sometimes as low as 33 cents/quart. It's worked perfectly fine in everything I used it in.

I got some for two for a buck which I give to my wife's grandson who jhas and old Honda that burns a quart every 700 miles but that supply is long gone and he is still driving the accord

Been discontinued for 2-3 years

I bought a bunch on clearance at O'Reillys for $.33 a quart.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
The real question?.what the [censored] is happening with DuraBlend. It's dexos approved and great oil but you can't get it anywhere!

My next oil change in late spring would be durablend if I could get it. I think I'll have to go Maxlife instead.

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
The real question?.what the [censored] is happening with DuraBlend. It's dexos approved and great oil but you can't get it anywhere!

My next oil change in late spring would be durablend if I could get it. I think I'll have to go Maxlife instead.

For the money, if they are the same price, Maxlife would be a better deal, since it would have more additives.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
I had read in some car mag that it was very energy inefficient in making the stuff,...the more I read about it makes me think it was a doomed from the start product. Sometime in the future it may be a nessidity but not today.

I have seen so much when companies jump on the political bandwagon, political correctness bandwagon, or make a decision based on some study published by the news, instead of going off what the market will support,it often ends in failure. And don't worry about if it will become a necessity, service facilities found good use of there used motor oil. Heating. So basically when time comes when motor oil companies feel its necessary, they will have to give more money than what heating fuel costs, which will basically be more practical to use virgin oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

The end result was a product equal to VWB, so why would it be cheaper?

Because the average person doesn't read the information here on BITOG.com. Most regular car owners would associate re-refined as inferior motor oil-that's why. And since it was good (or better oil) than some and not widely marketed that way-the marketing people were idiots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back