-31 this morning...without the wind chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Im sitting at -8 right now as a matter of fact...plenty cold indeed! You would not believe the number of knuckleheads out on snow mobiles right now...and yesterday for that matter. I don't know how they do it!

They do it because its fun, and they are dressed appropriate.

i suppose...i enjoy ATVs. I didnt mean knucklehead in a derogatory way...i call everyone a knucklehead

I have a major trail that runs in front of my house across the road and i bet i see 700 snow machines a day on the weekend from November through April most years. [censored] things sure are FAST!!!

Last edited:
Nicely done, I have always liked VWB....

IIRC you mentioned in another thread you had the factory plug in heater. Was this a test without it or was it plugged in?

Since it IS after all a 5w30, it meets the specs down to -30 so 1 degree didn't hurt a thing....

Originally Posted By: SR5
??? Don't like VWB?

I like Valvoline, and I like how you showed that a conventional 5W-30 works at -31F

I wouldn't exactly call it showing... We know it pours at -40C and pumps per the specs defined for a 5w oil.

Others might pump better though, and we have no idea what was starved for oil (hopefully nothing).

Still, good of the op to share. Next time it should be filmed so we can hear the cranking and engine sounds.

It should have been plugged in...but it wasn't. I park outside in the open and there is no plug close by unfortunately. Ive often wondered why they include the block heater on the gas trucks. I get it on the Power Stroke...buts its not really needed on the gasser imho.

To be honest I was very pleasantly surprised at how the VWB performed. Im used to valve train clatter in cold weather...got none of it with the VWB. The diffs were sure acting goofy though...the E locker didnt want to disengage for about 15 seconds! i imagine the gear dope was peanut butter at those temps. I let the truck warm up for about 20 minutes before i set off on the days adventures. Took the trans almost an hour at highway speed to hit operating temp...which believe it or not is 200-216 degrees on the Torque Shift 6 speeds.

The only time I've had trouble starting cars in extreme cold was with my fathers buick. It suffered a hydro-lock early in its life and has had low oil pressure ever since. The only way to keep the light from flickering is to run a 50 weight...and hope it doesn't sheer. When it gets below -25 that car will not start without jumper cables and prayer. Car ran for over 200'000 miles on 50wt...never thought the bearings would last that long. Still going strong with no end in sight!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
??? Don't like VWB?

I like Valvoline, and I like how you showed that a conventional 5W-30 works at -31F

I wouldn't exactly call it showing... We know it pours at -40C and pumps per the specs defined for a 5w oil.

Others might pump better though, and we have no idea what was starved for oil (hopefully nothing).

Still, good of the op to share. Next time it should be filmed so we can hear the cranking and engine sounds.

LOL Next time we get lows -25 or better ill take video and post it...

1 below here. Coldest it has been in several yrs. I used to work nights in the shipyard. -1F wasn't that remarkable, it got colder in those days.
grin2.gif

0 here now..it's crazy weather like this why I'm glad my wife' car has M1 5w30 in it right now. Knock on wood, even after 13 years, she still purrs in morning..even during the nasty cold! one less thing I have to worry about.

Don't really care what I would run in mine (though I like PYB), though with all the deals lately...she runs on synthetic as well. Otherwise it would be dino or a blend....

I don't think we give quality conventional enough credit. I took a GM 4.3 in a 1/2 ton pickup across the half a million mark with nothing but vwb over the course of 15 years. I got the truck for free from a landscaping/forestry company that owed me money. It had no trans and about 115k on the odometer. The engine was very dirty under the valve covers and oil pan showing a ton of varnish and a very hard baked on sludge that had to be scraped and sanded off the valve covers and oil pan. Not the softish sludge normally seen. Anyways i put a 5 speed out of a salvage yard in the truck (had new sychros done first) and started a 5k oci and dove the [censored] out of that thing. Still have it as a matter of fact and still runs great. It does use a qt per 1k but it has since i got it...due I'm sure to the very poor PM it received from the landscaping company.

Short interval and a TON of highway miles so it was not hard on the oil to be sure but it was kept outside and ran 12months in some of the harshest climate in North America.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
On a brand new truck that costs a relative fortune for many, why would you not use a 0w-30 like Mobil 1 AFE, for instance, if you're doing unheated starts at -30? Only an additional $15 or so and you can run it to 7-8k miles.
49.gif

Because synthetic is too slippery and will cause lifter rollers to skid. Seals will weep, if used before broken in it never will, and if you use it once you can't go back to conventional.
wink.gif

i simply do not believe that at my interval synthetic oil offers any advantage. I don't buy into any of the myths surrounding it though.

To me at least the sole advantage to synthetic oil is the ability to extend OCI. I am not extending my OCI and have been served well by VWB in the past...hence my choice. No drama...just my preference.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know how you guys exist in those extreme temperatures! I guess being born and bred there, it's your "normal". It pretty much NEVER gets below 0*C (32*F) here, and I'm quite happy about that
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
??? Don't like VWB?

Yes, I hear what you are saying, but since I wasn't there, I'm taking the OP's statement at face value:
Started right up and engine was nice and quiet right off the bat...

At -31F with no heater.

My real point was that you read here people who think they need a synthetic 0W-20 because it's 0 F, when the OP showed that a mineral 5W-30 has more ability than some people give it credit for. Not that I'm any sort of cold start expert, I live in the heat.

Just saying it's nice to get a report from a person who lives in the real cold. Thanks OP !!

You did just fine. I've used 5w-30 conventionals for many, many years in Saskatchewan winters, including in -40. The 5w-XX oils have their MRV tested at -35 C, so your oil choice would have met the pumping requirements at that temperature just fine, and the oil worked as advertised and tested. I don't know what else anyone could want.

In your climate, you're obviously well aware that as long as the oil is a semi-sensible choice for the ambient, your biggest enemy will be your battery. And, with a new truck, that shouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted By: hpb
I honestly don't know how you guys exist in those extreme temperatures! I guess being born and bred there, it's your "normal". It pretty much NEVER gets below 0*C (32*F) here, and I'm quite happy about that
smile.gif

here it goes below 0°C, but not by much. -9°C was the coldest in the last 3 years.

Below 0°C is actually better than a few degrees above, less wind and less moisture.

the coldest recorded temperature is -21°C, in Brussels. I've seen -18°C a decade ago. The day that diesels didn't start if parked outside, and stalled if parked inside...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Below 0°C is actually better than a few degrees above, less wind and less moisture.

You're not wrong !!
I was in Istanbul at +2 C with a strong moist wind blowing and I could not keep any heat in my body. I was always cold. However when I was in Norway on a sunny -15 C day with light winds, I found it very nice and comfortable.

Yeah, that's the Lithgow experience too.

A frost means that we'll have a pretty decent day. a couple of degrees and fog/drizzle sucks the life out of you.

Frost also means that my kiwi fruit will ripen properly and be very sweet...and this year's a bumper crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back