dollar store oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So an old Mazda died after the owner started using DG oil?
Never mind that it would have died anyway had he used M1 instead.
You have to wonder how all of our cars in the seventies and eighties survived for long mileages on the oils then available.
I doubt that most engines of any vintage would suffer much if any harm using an oil meeting the requirements of the API SF spec as long as the oils weren't run for some huge number of miles.
For the 3-5K drains most of us did back in the day, I'd think that the DG juice would be just fine.
It pains me to see supposedly serious people actually investigating and even litigating something so silly, as though in a world full of poverty and injustice the sale of motor oil clearly labeled as being of an obsolete spec is somehow among our most pressing problems.

Originally Posted By: Greg L
FWIW - I have had personal experience with this oil.

Two years ago I bought 8 quarts of the DG brand oil in 10w30, and used it in my 1951 GMC truck, with an inline 270ci six cylinder engine. (This was spring of 2014)

I have to admit...even though it is an older engine that was rebuilt about 10 years ago, this oil made it seem to run pretty [censored]. [censored] as in there was alot of scraping noises, high engine whine, and more than usual oil dripping onto the pan in the garage.

So I dumped that oil after about 1 month. It was solid black, and seemed alot thinner than when I put it in.

Never again. I switched back to Rotella and Valvoline oil, in 15w40. No issues since.

GL

Greg it sounds like the DG oil was doing a good job of cleaning build up out of that crankcase if it went black in 30 days.

In the age of easy info, you think people would be less stupid...

You can google on your smartphone in mere seconds to find out what oil it uses.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of reading about it (or that I feel lousey), but you can't figure out simple information about what you drive, you really should just take the bus.....

people are more stupid today than ever. What surprises me though is that you would think folks buying oil are doing their own PM which would lead me to believe they know at least something about engines. If that is the case...why the [censored] would they buy this garbage?

I would think most people who purchased this stuff are people using it for top offs in oil burners. I doubt it would kill an engine in this capacity though you never know..top off after top off etc.

Ive always figured the truly lazy and stupid just went to iffy pube

Last edited:
People are very ignorant, I would not be surprised if infact the buyers at DG don't even know much about specs and the brands they stock. They're looking to hit certain margins.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
You can google on your smartphone in mere seconds to find out what oil it uses.

True, but remember we here have an advantage. We BITOGers tend to know reputable sources. We know where the oil selectors are from the oil companies, we know about Amsoil's wonderful capacity and specification tool. These people are just as likely to stumble into some nutcase's rant in a general automotive forum.
wink.gif
Of course, that doesn't excuse one from not reading the owner's manual, and if it's missing, many are available online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back