Raybestos Advance Tech or Police Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between the Raybestos Advanced Technology 680110 rotor and their Police 680110P rotor? The descriptions seem nearly identical but the Police ones are a lot more expensive. Do they last longer? Are they worth the extra $$?

Thx

I looked at the brake pads, I found the " For Police Use Only" to be funny. We can't have the average citizen being able to stop like law enforcement.

Police-specific formulations avoid high temperature fade
Slots and chamfers optimize cooling and suppress noise
Quiet Clips™ (rubber coated abutment clips) for quiet braking
High-technology noise dampening shim materials
Police badge logo identifies product as: Police use only
High temperature Silicone-lubricant featuring PTFE provides optimum lubrication
QOA ® formula ensures you’ll arrive at every call without brake noise

Last edited:
They're using stealth tech private citizens aren't allowed to have! Rubber coated clips, ohmy!

robert

I think advanceauto still has the Frontline Wearever rotors that are for severe duty vehicles with the black phophate coating for the interceptors.

Thanks guys. I think they both use the same carbon fiber infused metal. The Advance Tech rotor's vanes are OEM configuration, the ones in the Police rotor are different, supposedly to help dissipate heat better.

Where I live my car isn't exposed to salt so I dunno if the extra corrosion coating on the Police rotor will be any benefit. I don't do hard braking for a living, but like the other day on the freeway when I had to go from 65 to 0 in an instant, I want to stop FAST.

Just wondering if the Police rotor will give my car better stopping distance in those rare events, or if it will last longer than the Advance Tech one.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
in those events, it all comes down to tyre adhesion!

Then in that case I'll just get the less expensive rotors. The Police rotors are probably overkill. Thanks.

Yeah, the better cooling is more needed when you are doing hard stop after hard stop. A single hard stop won't dump enough heat to cause problems.
I was watching Alaska State Troopers one day and they were in a chase. When they finally got stopped, the camera person got out of the CVPI and for a second, his camera was pointing at the right front wheel, where smoke was pouring out.

we have the raybestos advanced tech rotors on all 3 of our cars. They have been my go-to for several years. I've not had any wear or performance issues with them, and one sees towing. The only problems I've had are QC-related - received 2 that were bad brand new- one had a hairline crack and the other felt like excessive runout. RMA'd both (amazon) and the replacements have been fine.

That said, the next ones I buy may be the top-level version from AZ. It was a pain RMA'ing that pair above. I put two on the volvo last month and while they drive great, I have wondered if one of these has a little runout in it, as it was first rubbing a dust shield and you could hear it touch/nottouch/touch/nottouch with every revolution.

Originally Posted By: meep
we have the raybestos advanced tech rotors on all 3 of our cars. They have been my go-to for several years. I've not had any wear or performance issues with them, and one sees towing. The only problems I've had are QC-related - received 2 that were bad brand new- one had a hairline crack and the other felt like excessive runout. RMA'd both (amazon) and the replacements have been fine.

That said, the next ones I buy may be the top-level version from AZ. It was a pain RMA'ing that pair above. I put two on the volvo last month and while they drive great, I have wondered if one of these has a little runout in it, as it was first rubbing a dust shield and you could hear it touch/nottouch/touch/nottouch with every revolution.

Sorry for the deleted posts. I was trying to reply to you.

I hope the ones I just bought turn out to be OK. Since I have to pay a mechanic to install them it'll be an expensive PITA to send them back.

Little bit older thread but so are crown Vic's I'm ordering the police ones. There are a few physical differences but the tolerances allowed appear to be tighter. Police rotors meet the SAE standard for tensile strength, guaranteeing structural integrity and maximum service life. A turned finish minimizes noise and improves responsiveness for smoother stops. Our Police rotors come with a lateral runout of 0.002″ or less and a thickness variation of less than 0.0004". Police rotors are mill balanced and 100 percent validated. This helps minimize the thickness variation on the rotor

More stringent qc standards alone can be well worth it even if covered by warranty. Have to re bed pads again, besides waste of time and possibly labor and or shipping charges. In regard to one comment it doesn't all come down to tire adhesion. Obviously the tire has to grip but poor or damaged rotors/pads can vastly effect safety and comfort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back