Anyone ever replaced brake fluid on Honda Pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Honda Pilot.

Purchased Sept 2013

The Maintenance Manual calls for Brake Fluid replacement every 3 years.

Has anyone here ever done this service on a Honda Pilot?

I have only done it on GM full size trucks/SUV's.

Is it the same procedure?

Thanks

They are all the same unless you let them run dry, then the bleeding procedures may differ.
Just remove as much fluid as possible from the MC without letting air into the system, refill the MC, open each bleeder until the fluid runs clear then tighten the bleeder.
Use a piece of clear PCV tubing to let it go into a jar, make sure the MC doesn't run dry and do not depress the brake pedal.

Pretty much all cars are the same. Open up a bleeder and then rig an air lock with a piece of tubing and a small jar with enough BF to submerge the tube end. Pump the pedal several times. I do it by hand so I can watch for bubbles. Check the level in the reservoir. frequently. Top it off to prevent introducing air into the ABS. pump until you see new fluid. So buy at least a qt.and a 12 oz bottle. Check with a Honda board to see if there are any wrinkles.

My Pilot's due for this as well. I handle all fluid changes except brake. It's something I gladly pay my mechanic to do every 3 yrs. Don't like dealing with that nasty toxic stuff.

Last edited:
The Pilot's master cylinder can become damaged if the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Put a piece of 2x4 behind it if you're using the pedal to bleed the brakes. There is a TSB on this but it's not real straightforward reading it that it's a poor design.

Other than that, it's a typical brake bleed.

Believe it or not the best tool for one-person brake bleed of any vehicle is Mityvac 7201 or similar fluid extractor.

I bought Mityvac 7201 to do oil change for my 2000 E430 more than 10 years ago, I then use it to do ATF and bleed brake.

The most time consuming is raise the car, take off the wheels, reinstall the wheels and lower the car. The actual brake bleeding is less than 10 minutes for 4 wheels, and never had any air in the brake system of any car.

Speed bleeders are awesome! Get them if they make the size your Pilot uses
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HangFire
The Pilot's master cylinder can become damaged if the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Put a piece of 2x4 behind it if you're using the pedal to bleed the brakes. There is a TSB on this but it's not real straightforward reading it that it's a poor design.

Other than that, it's a typical brake bleed.

Not "typical" as most (all?) Honda vehicles have a reverse bleed sequence.

Changing the brake fluid requires no bleeding if you don't let air into the system by letting the MC go dry or depressing the brake pedal and releasing it. Just opening the bleed screw does not let air into the system.
Opening the bleeder and letting gravity do the work is a lot easier than all this other business with one man bleeders and vac pumps for this job. The bleeding sequence for an air bound system is irrelevant on this job.

I had successfully replaced the brake fluid on two different Accords, but when I tried my 2012 Pilot, I screwed up. I think I pushed the brake pedal all the way to the floor and this damaged the seal on the master cylinder.

I gladly pay the dealer now.

Originally Posted By: Churchill
I had successfully replaced the brake fluid on two different Accords, but when I tried my 2012 Pilot, I screwed up. I think I pushed the brake pedal all the way to the floor and this damaged the seal on the master cylinder.

I gladly pay the dealer now.

Yikes! That must've set you back a pretty penny.

ETCG says that during his days as an Acura tech, his colleagues would just drain & fill the MC and consider that "changing" the brake fluid. Honda dealers around me charge like $150+ for a brake fluid service and I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing. My mechanic has a Mityvac pump so he never has to touch the brake pedal, which saves the MC seals.

Last edited:
Yes, replace it. And it's easy on a Civic so I assume it's not much different on a Pilot. I used to just crack the bleeders and let gravity do the work. Then I spent $30 on a Mity Vac on sale. The Mity Vac is AMAZING. Whatever the bleed sequence is, pop that wheel, make sure the MC is full, hook an adapter over the bleeder screw that come with the Mity Vac, pump the handle, done. Next wheel. SO easy. Takes longer to get the jack and wheels off then actual bleeding.

Don't get brake fluid on paint and wear nitrile gloves. Brake fluid ruins everything including skin!

I don't put my Honda on jack stands and take the wheels off just to bleed the brakes. There is probably enough room to work under it as is, but I just work it in with a tire rotation.

Whatever vehicle I'm working on, I look up the factory recommended bleed sequence. You say my Pilot is backwards. I say your vehicle is backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back