2005 Volvo S40 2.4i - Optimal Oil Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

I've been viewing around the website and haven't found a ton of info about my car. I was looking for some advice on the best oil to use.

Granted, the car has 188K miles on it, but I am looking for this car to keep running strong. I wanted to tap into the wealth of knowledge here for info!

(Information filled into the sticky about posts)

Car: 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i N/A engine

Manual States:
Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/Energy Conserving. Your Volvo has been certified to standards using ILSAC oil specification GF-2 5W-30. Volvo recommends use of oil with a quality rating equal to or higher than ILSAC GF-2. Equivalent and better oils include ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF, and SJ/Energy conserving.

Driving Style: Hard (for a non-turbo :p) and fast

Trips: 75%/25% highway/city driving.

Problems?: Car burns ~1 QT. of oil every ~6K miles. Engine has no leaks or drips.

I'm the second owner of the car. For the first 50K miles, the dealer put in Motorcraft 5W-30 Synthetic blend oil (XO-5W30-QSP). Then it saw some 5W-30 Castrol GTX for a bit. Now, for the past ~40K miles, I've put in Mobil 1 5W-30 with a change interval of ~6-7K miles and Mann Filters.

So, I'm just looking for some direction as to where to go (if any). I've had fine results with Mobil 1 5W-30 but have seen people use GC 0W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-40. I know a UOA would be best, but wanted to see what this community recommends first!

Thanks! If I forgot some info, let me know.

Sounds like you're doing well with the Mobil 1 5w-30. I'd use the high mileage version though, might help with consumption. 10w-30 HM or 0w-40 in summer maybe if you want to stay with Mobil 1.

If you want to switch to a blend, maybe Maxlife... Otherwise stay where you are on oil - it's doing well
smile.gif

1 qt/6K is NOT oil consumption
laugh.gif

Could someone explain, or maybe point me to thread/paper that explains the differences between regular 5W-30 and high mileage version? I'm assuming it is an additive package, but there is so much info out there to choose to read from, I'm not sure where to start!

And yes, it has treated me well, I'm glad others think that too!

I maintain 4 Volvos with the 2.4l NA engine. Your oil consumption is high. Check if the oil separator is functioning correctly, if not, replace it. Check for leaks. The engine has a 6.5 qt sump running through a coolant exchange oil cooler. The oil tends to run on the cool side given the set up. Any 0W30, 5W30 full syn works well. I don't feel to engine needs a 40 weight oil. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'd run 0W-40 Mobil 1 in your car. I don't know where to get data on high mileage Mobile other than the Mobile website. We use the 10w-40 Mobile High Mileage in the 1989 Prelude.

Keep using the Mobil 1. Great product. 1 quart every 6k puts you at about time for an oil change soon. Don't worry about that usage. The 5w30 is doing well for you. Keep it up.

You will find all sorts of information and viewpoints in this forum. Hope you enjoy it

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: mgm7890
Could someone explain, or maybe point me to thread/paper that explains the differences between regular 5W-30 and high mileage version? I'm assuming it is an additive package, but there is so much info out there to choose to read from, I'm not sure where to start!

And yes, it has treated me well, I'm glad others think that too!

http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.aspx
The HM version is slightly thicker and claims to have extra anti-wear additives. It has a higher HTHS of 3.3. The 10w-30 HM is A3/B3 with a 3.5 HTHS.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
I maintain 4 Volvos with the 2.4l NA engine. Your oil consumption is high. Check if the oil separator is functioning correctly, if not, replace it. Check for leaks.

What engines? I have the B5244S4. And by oil separator, are we talking PCV system? Mine was replaced under the recall and I no longer get a whine form the dipstick.

How much oil do you find yourself losing between OCI? (none?) Mine is probably closer to 1QT every 7K miles after I think about it. But yes, this small engine does take a lot of oil with a sump of 6.7Q for me to get to full. And that is a good thought about it running though the engine oil cooler on the back of the pan - thus keeping it cooler.

And thanks everyone else for the suggestions. I will begin to read up!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
I maintain 4 Volvos with the 2.4l NA engine. Your oil consumption is high. Check if the oil separator is functioning correctly, if not, replace it. Check for leaks.

What engines? I have the B5244S4. And by oil separator, are we talking PCV system? Mine was replaced under the recall and I no longer get a whine form the dipstick.

How much oil do you find yourself losing between OCI? (none?) Mine is probably closer to 1QT every 7K miles after I think about it. But yes, this small engine does take a lot of oil with a sump of 6.7Q for me to get to full. And that is a good thought about it running though the engine oil cooler on the back of the pan - thus keeping it cooler.

And thanks everyone else for the suggestions. I will begin to read up!

Yes B5244S4. I lose .25/qt every 5-6k with PC Duron 0W30. Yes, oil separator aka brother box is part of the PCV system. See Swedspeed for comments on breather box replacement intervals. General concensous is 100-120k with full synthetic, 70-80k with conventional or semi syn. Send me PM to discuss further if need be.

Thanks so far for all the info. I saw another thread on here about the following topic, but I wanted to ask it here (since the thread is from 09).

In Europe, Volvo recommends ACEA A5/B5 @ 5W-30.
In America/Canada, Volvo recommends ACEA A1/B1 @ 5W-30.
Rest of the world, Volvo recommends ACEA A3/B3/B4 @ 0W-30.

So, it appears that the main difference is with HTHS values.

Wouldn't you want a higher HTHS for engine protection over gas mileage? Or am I mis-undersatnding? I would think that a A3/B3 would be better than a A1/B1.

Thanks so far for all the info. I saw another thread on here about the following topic, but I wanted to ask it here (since the thread is from 09).

In Europe, Volvo recommends ACEA A5/B5 @ 5W-30.
In America/Canada, Volvo recommends ACEA A1/B1 @ 5W-30.
Rest of the world, Volvo recommends ACEA A3/B3/B4 @ 0W-30.

So, it appears that the main difference is with HTHS values.

Wouldn't you want a higher HTHS for engine protection over gas mileage? Or am I mis-undersatnding? I would think that a A3/B3 would be better than a A1/B1.

I don't know for sure, but similar questions were asked in this thread

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3641426/1

I've been reading a lot of info on here about 0W-30 Castrol vs. 0W-40 Mobil. I know a few guys over on a Volvo forum use 0W-30 instead of 5W-30 and it looks like people here say that 0W-40 would be fine too.

I've seen accounts of people saying it quiets the car way down, and gives better protection. I think it would be, but would I be fine to try 0W-30 or 0W-40 over the 5W-30?

The owner's manual says they are fine in extreme cases, but I want to see what you guys think.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back