Unused WIX 51372-051815C2 cut & post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some extra time and have not seen a cut and post of a new WIX.

t52iqb.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Exterior of the can showing the WIX label. The brown on the can edge is just reflection.

212vlnn.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Label and bar code. Made in the USA.

29vf4wg.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Clear date code: 051815C2 16:06
This one recently purchased at the auto parts store. $7 + tax.

25r1lko.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 base plate exterior with 6 inlet holes nicely deburred.

apelbl.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 base plate interior with inlet holes nicely deburred. Smooth sealing surface.

2nr1tzd.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 base plate with silicone ADBV on top.

302x35u.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 ADBV on thread end of cartridge filter assembly. Dome end bypass visible.

4kfzpt.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 thread end of cartridge showing metal core and dome end bypass.

2190y1i.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Splice is at 0 degrees. The use a green dye on the inside so you can see it. Evenly spaced pleats.

ziock4.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Rotated 90 degrees. Embossed media with even pleat spacing.

2wd7vja.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Rotated 180 degrees. Embossed media with even pleat spacing.

vqjqet.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Rotated 270 degrees. Embossed media with even plat spacing. You can just see the splice on the right.

2n1cpef.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Dome end bypass valve. Smooth action.

wipzcj.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Coil spring compressed everything together. The spring tension on this was more that any of the leaf spring types I have already cut open.

34t28hf.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Embossed media

6plutk.jpg

WIX-51372-051815C2 Spiral metal core

Number of pleats: 59 pleats including the splice
Filter cartridge height: 3" to 3 1/16"
2x pleat depth: 1 7/16"
Element height: 2 7/8"
Effective pleat width: 2.875" - 0.22" = 2.655"
Filter area: 1 7/16" x 59 x 2.655" = 225.2"
Number of wide spaces: none
Number of holes in the center tube: 50
Center tube hole diameter: 9/64" fit - 5/32" would not fit
Center tube hole area for 50 holes: 0.777 sq in.

This is likely the Goldilocks of filters. Just right. I think I will start using them.

Links:

Unused CarQuest R85372-A43301

Unused Champ PH820-011514ES1

Unused Motorcraft FL-820S-909031527

Used (Torn) Motorcraft FL-820S-904121217

Used Firestone TF4651-092314ES

You are quite welcome.

I was going to save the best for last but, I could not wait. The WIX is going on the next oil change.

This trumps the Motorcraft FL-820S in every way except the bypass valve location and cost.

Nice even pleats. Filtration efficiency. Capacity. Probably reliability. Silicone ADBV.

Last edited:
HerrStig,

That is exactly what I thought as I was taking pictures.

1. What a nice filter.
2. Someone knew what they were doing when they made this one.
3. Job well done WIX.
4. Something I would want to put on my motor.

The WIX website implies the standard WIX filter would go 7500 miles. Is this your experience? Or, what is your experience with standard WIX filters?

Another A+ cut and post autopsy welloiled.
I agree with your assessment that Wix does make a fine oil filter. I bought one for the first time about 2 months ago. It will go on my Altima 3.5 coupe. My lady's Camry already has a Wix on it
smile.gif

This is one of my favorite filters... Wix makes really nice filters i have been using them since we switched from purolator about a year ago.. I also use the fram ultra which is also a really nice filter. Problem with Wix around here is they are hard to find at a good price and the Mom And Pop auto parts stores that carry them keep them hidden behind the counter. This is the original reason i tried the ultra... I like to see the filters i buy... And yes i open the box to make sure they are not smashed and bashed. I wish Wal Mart would start selling Wix here in NJ..
I don't think it has synthetic media but i am not sure that matters much. I like those nice Big oil holes in the center tube and there are 50 of them! this is why they flow so well.. At least in my head, lol

Is this the WIX GOLD?
That filter is a thing of beauty! Nice, evenly spaced pleats. Very well constructed. My only beef with it is, the bypass. I prefer the non dome end bypass. But, I could get used to this one.
grin.gif

Thanks for the great C&P.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
This is one of my favorite filters... Wix makes really nice filters i have been using them since we switched from purolator about a year ago.. I also use the fram ultra which is also a really nice filter. Problem with Wix around here is they are hard to find at a good price and the Mom And Pop auto parts stores that carry them keep them hidden behind the counter. This is the original reason i tried the ultra... I like to see the filters i buy... And yes i open the box to make sure they are not smashed and bashed. I wish Wal Mart would start selling Wix here in NJ..
I don't think it has synthetic media but i am not sure that matters much. I like those nice Big oil holes in the center tube and there are 50 of them! this is why they flow so well.. At least in my head, lol

I mail ordered 3 WIX for $4.25 each and 3 AC Delco for $3 each plus shipping all were very recent date codes except one AC Delco. Very well packed and no damage.

The WIX site states this filter uses "Enhanced cellulose".

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Is this the WIX GOLD?

The normal WIX posted here and the NAPA Gold have the same guts.

The NAPA Gold is supposed to have a thread end bypass. Otherwise it is the same filter.
NAPA Gold

I have been looking at the metallics in the bottom of the dome and for the Ranger, I do not see a huge need for a thread end bypass.

As to why WIX changed, I do not know. Maybe Ford has a patent they are enforcing.

Last edited:
WIX is 51372
NAPA Gold is 1372 (NAPA drops the "5" at the beginning of the filter number).

I would think the 51372 and the 1372 have the same bypass design and location.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The NAPA Gold is supposed to have a thread end bypass. Otherwise it is the same filter.

Both can have a dome end bypass for certain applications, actually. It seems to depend on the model number. Some seem to have dome end because the media would be too skimpy with a thread end; some of the filter numbers that fit my G37 are a prime example. The 51515 has all the room in the world and the thread end bypass, accordingly, especially since it is specified for many Fords.

Garak, ZeeOSix,

That is good to know. These would be a good deal when NAPA has a sale.

Now for a used filter analysis. I have another 2 months left on this AC Delco, then another 3 months on a WIX before I can get to it. Maybe someone else has one coming due shortly? Hint! Hint!
grin.gif

Last edited:
As noted by others if you check the equivalent NG1372 you'll find it too uses dome end bypass.

Also this application is one or the rare Wix/NG filters that use dome end bypass. The vast majority use Wix's traditional metal thread type bypass. As noted, the 5/1372 is the Wix/NG equivalent to the OEM FL820S which specs a thread end bypass. The Mobil One equivalent which most use thread end too also use dome end in this application. As alluded to and speculating, patent rights may be a factor in the decision.

Thanks for pics.

I pulled a 57145 just yesterday that's been on my 07 RAV4 for 5k, I should have it cut open today (hopefully), will post pics. I don't expect to see much in the way of drama, all the other Wix's and Napa Golds I've used have been in great condition even after 10k. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back