-31 this morning...without the wind chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First real cold start for the new truck this morning. Actual temp was -31...wind chill below -50. Valvoline conventional 5w30 seemed to handle things fine. Started right up and engine was nice and quiet right off the bat...pipes in the house froze as I didn't have the faucets running over night like I should have...but that's another story.

Last edited:
Ahh if it worked well then where the issue right?? I agree doublehaul. VWB did good for you and that's all that matters at -31°F

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
??? Don't like VWB?

I like Valvoline, and I like how you showed that a conventional 5W-30 works at -31F

Just rolled 2k today picking up a new trailer. I dumped the factory fill at 1k and went to vwb. Most here think that to be Un-necessary but I've done this will all my new engines for a long time.

I've been using Valvoline Syntech and Mobil 1 for a long time but am excited to build a uoa baseline with the conventional after seeing the fantastic VWB uoas in the past several years.

It should make for interesting reading anyways as there are not many posted UoAs with conventional and I plan to most them all in the name of research lol

Last edited:
On a brand new truck that costs a relative fortune for many, why would you not use a 0w-30 like Mobil 1 AFE, for instance, if you're doing unheated starts at -30? Only an additional $15 or so and you can run it to 7-8k miles.
49.gif

Truck calls for 5w30 all climates. Also, my use enters the truck into the severe service category requiring a oil change every 5k while under warranty which on this truck is 150,000 miles. VWB meets the Ford required spec and UOAs of this oil have shown EXCELLENT results.

I do not believe synthetic would offer me any advantage other than an extended OCI .

Im sitting at -8 right now as a matter of fact...plenty cold indeed! You would not believe the number of knuckleheads out on snow mobiles right now...and yesterday for that matter. I don't know how they do it!

They should change the name of the site to Bob is the SYNTHETIC Oil Guy...seems like nobody can stand the thought of a premium conventional in service in a new truck!

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
They should change the name of the site to Bob is the SYNTHETIC Oil Guy...seems like nobody can stand the thought of a premium conventional in service in a new truck!

Nah.. I'll use PYB 10W30 next oil change.

I am just smart enough to know that synthetics are way better than conventionals (no matter how "premium" they're) in a place where it gets below zero in the winter.

Your car, your money. Do whatever floats your boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back